5 people are interested
Safe House Lobby Volunteer - Chicago Metro
ORGANIZATION: WINGS Program
Please visit the new page to apply.
5 people are interested
- Ensure the safety of the Safe House by allowing only appropriate people to enter the Safe House. Lobby volunteer utilizes the intercom and camera system to confirm the identity of Safe House clients, staff, other volunteers, and service providers who come to the Safe House door.
- Interact with clients as they come in and out of the shelter and as they come to the Safe House lobby to ask questions about Safe House policies and operations.
- Assist clients with basic daily living skills, including: signing in/out from the Safe House, providing directions to community locations, assisting with public transportation-looking up train/bus schedules, providing needed items such as toiletries/linens/bedding from Safe House inventory, giving laundry detergent as needed.
- Explain the basic Safe House policies and procedures to clients, including: staff schedules, babysitting rules, curfew, overnight policy, mail process, chore assignments.
- Other duties are assigned to Lobby volunteers based on volunteer interest and current shelter need (Examples include: minor administrative tasks-filing/making copies/faxing documents, organizing/sorting donations, researching community resources).
- Completion of the 40 Hour Domestic Violence Training (The class is usually offered three (3) times a year.) Background check is required.
- Any personal experience with domestic violence should be more than two (2) years prior to applying for this volunteer opportunity.
- A willingness to keep the location confidential.
This may be a good fit for you if:
- You enjoy helping people find a way out of difficult situations.
- You are looking for a volunteer opportunity that provides direct service to our clients.
- You are a good listener and able to give empathy and options without giving advice.
- You are able to stay calm, even when others become upset or emotional.
- You are committed to providing a safe, non-judging environment where you are willing to support people in their choices, even choices you may not agree with (example: a woman choosing to return to her abuser.)
- You feel comfortable working with people in a diverse environment in regards to social-economic status, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and religion.
- You are comfortable with varying levels of activity. (Sometimes the lobby is very busy, other times it can be very slow.)
- The environment can be active which makes this a great opportunity for those who can multi-tasks and are not sensitive to noise.
About WINGS Program
PO Box 95615, Palatine, IL 60095, US
The mission of WINGS is to provide a continuum of integrated services in an effort to end homelessness and domestic violence one family at a time.
WINGS Program, Inc. was founded in 1985 and has grown to include 5 transitional homes and over 20 apartments scattered throughout Park Ridge, Des Plaines, Mount Prospect, Arlington Heights, Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg and Barrington. In addition to shelter, food and clothing, WINGS programs include counseling, life skills, vocational training, and educational programs for women and therapeutic programs for children and adolescents. Our program equips women with the support, training and resources to help them become self-sufficient and financially independent, and provides children with a restored sense of security and stability. A woman and her children can stay in our transitional program for up to 2 years. The need for our transitional housing program is great. There are usually at least between 5 and 10 families on our waiting list. WINGS has also responded to an unmet need in the north and northwest suburban area, by building and operating a 45 bed domestic violence Safe House. Previously, there had been no accessible shelters in which a woman and her children, who are fleeing a desperate situation, can go. Families who enter the Safe Hous will be provided short-term shelter, legal counseling, crisis counseling and other services to help them stabilize their situation.
Wings MetroP.O. Box 29309Chicago, IL 60629
June 1, 2022
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3-4 hours a week for at least one year