VITA Tax Lead Volunteer
International Rescue Committee in San Diego
The IRC operates a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to provide FREE tax prep services to low and moderate income families who cannot afford to pay $200+ for a tax return. We completed more than 3,200 returns last tax season and helped families receive more than $5.5 million in refunds. The IRC’s VITA program would not be able to operate without the hard work and dedication from our amazing volunteers!
Our Tax Preparation Lead Volunteers not only assist clients with preparing their taxes but also support and guide newer volunteers through the duration of tax season. As a seasoned tax preparation expert other volunteers will look to you for advice and answers to their questions. You will collaborate with the onsite coordinator to provide effective feedback for members of our tax preparation volunteer team while ensuring that volunteers have a go-to person for any questions or concerns that arise.
- Prepare Federal and State tax returns for refugee and low-income populations
- Perform quality reviews to ensure returns are prepared correctly
- Serve as point-person for volunteer shifts, to answer questions and provide quality review support for new volunteers, in collaboration with site coordinator
- Support training and onboarding of new volunteers, in collaboration with site coordinators, including observing and providing feedback to volunteers
- Other duties as required to support the program, including phone calls and scheduling client appointments
- At least 1 year previous experience as a VITA volunteer (preferably with the IRC)
- Attend and support Tax training (date TBD)
- Pass IRS certification exam (Advanced level)
Times Needed:(subject to change)
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Dates Needed/Minimum Commitment:
APPLY AT THE LINK BELOW!
- Commitment from January to April 18th
- Minimum 8-10 hours per week