Become a Girl Scout ESL Leader for Spanish Speaking girls!
DONATE TO THIS
14 people are interested
Make an impact on the lives of girls who are new to the U.S.! Girl Scouts Heart of New Jersey is looking for bilingual volunteers who want to mentor girls whose primary language is Spanish and introduce them to Girl Scout activities. Our Girl Scout ESL troops allow girls to practice English while having fun and learning Girl Scout traditions. You choose the meeting dates and times, we help you with training and resources.
Why is Girl Scouts good for Latinas?
The Girl Scout experience gives every girl the confidence and personal leadership skills she needs to realize her full potential. Girl Scouts are more successful in school, relationships, and careers; and they achieve more for their families, their community, and their country than non-Girl Scouts. By bringing together girls from different cultures, Girl Scouts gives them a place to celebrate their own heritage and learn about others’, which creates a sense of pride and understanding. Both qualities-pride and understanding-serve girls well throughout their lives.
Who can start a troop? Just about anyone! Parents, teachers, professionals, college students, military personnel, women or men. As a new leader, you’ll receive plenty of training and resources to get started - no experience required.
What’s the leader's role? With the help of a strong support team and useful materials, a leader holds meetings for their troop of girls. Meetings are an hour or two, and usually consist of skill-building and badge earning activities. Leaders also communicate with troop parents and their local Girl Scout support team for any help they might need.
How much time will this take? It's up to you! You decide how many times your troop meets. The time you give as a troop leader is valuable to us, and we'll give you tools that let you make the most of it. On average, leaders commit five hours per month, with room to grow if you choose to do additional activities.QUALIFICATIONS
- Must speak Spanish fluently
- Ability and desire to work with and serve people from diverse backgrounds
- Attend necessary training
- Computer Skills: Access to e-mail and the internet
- Develop leadership skills in a supportive, fun environment for your resume
- Volunteer around your schedule. No minimum hours required.
- Volunteer in your own neighborhood! No need to travel outside of Elizabeth
- Make a difference in the lives of girls
- Gain transferable skills in management, budgeting, and group dynamics
- Access to learning opportunities that only volunteers have access to
We'll work with your schedule.
Flexible- You can choose the meeting place!Elizabeth, NJ 07202
- Child Development
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- No minimum hours required.
- Must speak Spanish.