Companionship & Patient Support - Hospice
DONATE TO THIS
3 people are interested
Acacia Hospice is a non-profit end-of-life care organization located in Burlington County and serving patients and their families across the region. At Acacia we pour our hearts into providing compassionate care to those who are dying and to filling their lives with ease, comfort, dignity, and honor while they live their last days with us.
Overall Responsibilities: To serve as a member of the interdisciplinary team and act as a companion & support to patients and their families and to do this work harmoniously in conjunction with other members of the team.
Time Required: 2-4 hours per week, weekdays or weekends, days or evenings
Reports To: Acacia Hospice Volunteer Coordinator
- The volunteer is part of an interdisciplinary team and provides support for the patient/family under the direction and supervision of the volunteer coordinator, nurse case manager, social worker, and spiritual counselor. Examples of support include (but are not limited to):
- Providing companionship to patients (conversation, reading together, talking walks)
- Gathering patient stories (through provided questionnaire) to compile into mini memoir
- Providing respite for patient caregivers, including preparing meals for patient, performing light housekeeping duties or running errands
- Document visits in an accurate and timely manner.
- Practice personal and environmental safety while performing job duties.
- Participate in relevant educational activities required to provide competent support to patients and caregivers and to promote professional growth as well as cultivate an understanding of the agency’s mission, philosophy, programs and activities.
- Displays professionalism in the work environment.
- Performs related duties as agreed to by the Volunteer Coordinator.
Volunteers will be evaluated annually on these responsibilities & will be rated on a poor to excellent grading scale.
- Completion of application, interview, background check, health screening, TB testing per the hospice program’s policy and volunteer orientation
- Completion of the 6 part online training course, "Hospice and Home Care" with additional education and orientation regarding Acacia Hospice policies and procedures
- Ability to communicate well with people of diverse background and ages
- Able to respect confidentiality at all times
- Able to work independently in a changing environment
- Able to practice proper infection control
- Able to maintain appropriate personal and professional boundaries
- Feel comfortable with death and the dying process
- Provide own transportation to assignments and provide current proof of driver’s license
- Have no significant personal loss within the previous year
About Acacia Hospice
902 Jacksonville Road, Burlington, NJ 08016, US
When someone is facing a life-limiting illness, there are many challenges to overcome. When the time comes that medical treatments can no longer provide a cure and are depriving the patient of their dignity, comfort and overall quality of life, Acacia Hospice will provide the care, support and comfort you and your loved one deserve. When you choose Acacia Hospice, you are not giving up; rather, you are gifting up physical, emotional and spiritual support with comfort and dignity. This is the true treatment plan that ensures quality of life at journey’s end. Acacia Hospice is a non-profit end-of-life care agency that relies on community gifts to provide specialized programming to our patients including Music & Memory, We Honor Veterans, and complimentary therapies.
Acacia Hospice volunteers are treasured members of our hospice family and we are incredibly grateful for the love and support they bring to our work. We are always looking for community members who want to take part in the care we provide and there are many ways to do so. We are on the lookout for Patient & Family Support Volunteers to serve as companions to patients and their families, Administrative Support volunteers to help with a number of office and organizational projects, Pet Therapy volunteers who would like to bring their certified animals to brighten our patients’ lives, Music Therapy volunteers to play and sing with those we serve, and Veteran/Military Spouse volunteers who want to support other veterans & their spouses who are receiving end-of-life care. Additionally, we are always looking for people who like to craft to help sew, crochet, and knit quilts and blankets for our patients. We provide training, an amazingly supportive team environment, and lots of gratitude.
We'll work with your schedule.
902 Jacksonville RoadBurlington, NJ 08016
- Veteran Care
- Hospice Care
- Bereavement Support
- Spiritual Healing
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours/week or more