Companionship & Patient Support - Hospice
DONATE TO THIS
3 people are interested
Acacia Hospice is a non-profit end-of-life care organization located in Burlington County and serving patients and their families across the region. We have various internship opportunities for students to work closely with our Volunteer Coordinator to develop our Music & Memory program and to help develop the volunteer program and lead volunteer recruitment throughout Burlington and Camden Counties.
Every hospice organization in the country is required to match 5% of their direct care hours with volunteer services. At Acacia we pour our hearts into providing compassionate care to those who are dying and to filling their lives with ease, comfort, quality, dignity, and honor while they live their last days with us.
Overall Responsibilities: To serve as a member of the interdisciplinary team and act as a companion & support to patients and their families and to do this work harmoniously in conjunction with other members of the team.
Time Required: 2-4 hours per week, weekdays or weekends, days or evenings
Reports To: Acacia Hospice Volunteer Coordinator
- The volunteer is part of an interdisciplinary team and provides support for the patient/family under the direction and supervision of the volunteer coordinator, nurse case manager, social worker, and spiritual counselor. Examples of support include (but are not limited to):
- Providing companionship to patients (conversation, reading together, talking walks)
- Gathering patient stories (through provided questionnaire) to compile into mini memoir
- Providing respite for patient caregivers, including preparing meals for patient, performing light housekeeping duties or running errands
- Document visits in an accurate and timely manner.
- Practice personal and environmental safety while performing job duties.
- Participate in relevant educational activities required to provide competent support to patients and caregivers and to promote professional growth as well as cultivate an understanding of the agency’s mission, philosophy, programs and activities.
- Displays professionalism in the work environment.
- Performs related duties as agreed to by the Volunteer Coordinator.
Volunteers will be evaluated annually on these responsibilities & will be rated on a poor to excellent grading scale.
- Completion of application, interview, background check, health screening, TB testing per the hospice program’s policy and volunteer orientation
- Completion of the 6 part online training course, "Hospice and Home Care" with additional education and orientation regarding Acacia Hospice policies and procedures
- Ability to communicate well with people of diverse background and ages
- Able to respect confidentiality at all times
- Able to work independently in a changing environment
- Able to practice proper infection control
- Able to maintain appropriate personal and professional boundaries
- Feel comfortable with death and the dying process
- Provide own transportation to assignments and provide current proof of driver’s license
- Have no significant personal loss within the previous year
We'll work with your schedule.
Laurel Oak RoadVoorhees, NJ 08043
- Veteran Care
- Hospice Care
- Bereavement Support
- Spiritual Healing
- Patient Care
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours/week