Visitor Services Volunteer
8 people are interested
Visitor Services Volunteers create a welcoming, professional environment, helping ensure all Museum visitors have a positive experience. This volunteer (unpaid) position reports to the Operations Coordinator.
Friendly, professional demeanor. Customer service and/or cash register experience is advantageous, but not required. The ideal volunteer should be dependable and organized, have an enthusiastic personality, a positive attitude, and an interest in the Museum’s mission to preserve, exhibit, and teach the African American history of Iowa. Training is provided on-site. Business casual dress is required.
- Open and/or close the museum store and gallery.
- Greet visitors in a friendly, professional manner
- Sell admissions, items from the museum store, and membership
- Encourage visitors to complete evaluation cards
- Maintain appropriate organization and cleanliness of the front desk and museum store
- Ensure that promotional materials on lobby tables and in the store are well-stocked and organized
- Answer visitor questions in a friendly and professional manner both in person and on the museum store telephone
- Assist with basic administrative tasks, as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Available hours are Monday to Friday, 9:45am to 4:15pm. Preference is for volunteers willing to commit to a 3.25 hour shift (9:45am-1pm or 1pm-4:15pm) one day per week, for a minimum of six months.
Occasional evening shifts are available to assist at ticketed programs. These shifts do not require a regular commitment.
Visitor Services Volunteers work on-site in the Nikee Museum Store at the African American Museum of Iowa at 55 12th Ave. SE in Cedar Rapids, IA.
We'll work with your schedule.
55 12th Avenue SECedar Rapids, IA 52401
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Retail / Sales
- Customer Service
- People 55+