MakerPlace Learning Facilitator
3 people are interested
Do you love to tinker? Perhaps you are the creative type who enjoys making all kinds of things from stuff you find around the house? You might be a maker! The Kentucky Science Center’s new MakerPlace is an exhibit space devoted to the maker movement. If you enjoy working with your hands to fix, build, sew, paint, work with textiles, solder, sculpt, or simply re-design ordinary objects into extraordinary creations, then making is for you.
Making involves the exploration of science, technology and art through the manipulation of real tools and materials and emphasizes the creative design process. As a MakerPlace volunteer, you’ll apply your talents and skills to creating hands on learning experiences in MakerPlace such as electronics, textiles, painting, woodworking, weaving, and more. The ideal volunteer shares infectious enthusiasm, attention to detail, a strong work ethic and a positive attitude with Kentucky Science Center visitors of all ages, especially older children and teens.
· Assist with the daily operation of the MakerPlace including activity rotation and making techniques.
· Implements and facilitates maker experiences for a variety of ages and programs.
· Ensures visitor safety by practicing and enforcing safety policies. Maintains a clean and safe environment for program participants.
· Assist with general upkeep of MakerPlace including cleaning
· Experience, knowledge and/or interest in science or related field; love of learning
· Enjoys working with people, especially older children and teens
· Patient when helping visitors and troubleshooting programs or equipment.
· Technical proficiency not required but willing to learn new skills such as working with a variety of tools.
· Organized, dependable and responsible; able to work with limited direct supervision
· Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
· Must pass a background check
We'll work with your schedule.
727 West Main StreetLouisville, KY 40202
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Min. commitment - 6 hours per month
- Available hours are between 9am and 5pm daily.