25 people are interested
Assistant Teacher for Award-winning After-School Program
ORGANIZATION: Cool Classics!
Please visit the new page to apply.
25 people are interested
Cool Classics! is a nationally recognized, award-winning after-school program that uses book-based, arts-integrated, diversity-driven curricula to improve literacy and develop critical thinking skills in Chicago Public School students at schools in underserved communities. Our students' outcomes include improved academic performance, social-emotional behavior in school and at home, and higher standardized test scores. We aim to improve participants’ reading comprehension, understanding of the arts and analytic skills while building lasting communities of our students, their families, teachers and school administrators to ensure success as they continue their education throughout their lives. A concise overview of our work is at https://tinyurl.com/ydgncr8w. Visit our website at www.coolclassicschicago.org/
Cool Classics! was honored as one of 12 winners of the 2017 National Arts and Humanities Youth Program Award. The award recognizes the country’s best creative youth development programs for using engagement in the arts and the humanities to generate a wide range of positive outcomes.
The assistant teacher will work under the direction of the Lead Teacher serving as their assistant for a group of 20-25 K through 3rd grade students.
- Assist Director in setting up systems to deliver in-person and/or virtual programming
- Use the Cool Classics! curricula to help Lead Teacher with lively sessions as designed by the Lead Teacher to include
- Daily reading of classic books
- Directing drama, dance and music activities
- Directing art and writing projects
- Teaching vocabulary and literary concepts
- Maintaining lending library
- Chaperoning field trips
- Work with student helpers to ensure they understand their roles in the process of the day, and to help them grow
- Work with students and their parents/legal guardians to improve academic performance, as well as social behavior
- Help administer, collect and analyze data from pre- and post-program tests
- Help administer any and all surveys
- Help with administrative work for field trips and other program needs
- Evaluate sessions to ensure student involvement and learning
- Use evaluation tools to determine students' achievements
Chicago public schools on the south and north sides. If public transportation is not an option, arrangements for other transportation to the work site may be available.
Days & Hours:
Sessions are Monday through Thursday afternoons.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Cool Classics!
3712 N BROADWAY, Suite 558, CHICAGO, IL 60613, US
Cool Classics! is an after-school program committed to improving literacy and reading comprehension among underserved elementary school students, expanding their sense of arts, humanities and culture, creating readers, critical thinkers and citizens while serving schools that have lost arts and culture programs and are overwhelmed by demands of test-driven curricula. Our curricula, designed around morally complex books, allow us to develop students' analytic thinking while teaching about the arts, humanities, self-discipline and constructive dispute resolution.
Cool Classics! is an after-school program that uses book-based, arts-integrated curricula to improve literacy, teach critical-thinking skills and introduce students in under-served communities to the arts and humanities. We hold our students to the highest academic standards and provide them with the tools for success. In our last decade, we have increased test scores among our participants and improved their academic achievements, social skills and behavior in their classrooms and homes. We build lasting communities of our students, their families, teachers and school administrators to insure success as they continue their education throughout their lives.
We are honored to be among 12 winners of the 2017 National Arts and Humanities Youth Program Award. The award is given to the nation's top after-school programs by the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and the Institute of Museum and Library Services, in cooperation with the National Assembly of State Arts Agencies.
The video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o0ytEjux_M&feature=youtu.be briefly describes our work. Our website at coolclassicschicago.org offers more information, galleries of our children's art and photos of their activities as well as an archive of our enewsletters.
Multiple locations Chicago, IL 60613
September 26, 2022
- Literacy / Reading
- General Education
- Theater Arts
- Visual Arts
- Music Arts
- 5-10 hours per week
- Desire to work with wonderful children in a South-side Chicago public elementary school