Editorial Committee Intern
About Real Change: Real Change is a weekly newspaper covering social justice issues, sold by working poor and homeless people on the streets of greater Seattle. The Editorial Committee is a group of vendors that meets at our Pioneer Square office each week to brainstorm story ideas for the Real Change weekly newspaper, reviews the paper, and occasionally votes on unsolicited submissions. The Committee is currently led by a volunteer, and is looking to add an intern to help us support the Committee, newsroom and editorial staff, and round out our in-depth coverage. We anticipate that the internship will entail 3-5 hours of work each week. This is an unpaid internship, but academic service-learning or other credit will be gladly arranged Responsibilities:
- Attend and take notes during the weekly, 1.5 hour Editorial Committee Meeting, currently held on Tuesday from 12:00pm-1:30pm.
- Assist the Editorial Committee Volunteer and help act as a liaison between the newsroom/editorial staff and the Editorial Committee.
- Attend a weekly, one hour Editorial Meeting with the newsroom staff to help communicate the notes and outcomes of the Editorial Committee meeting. This meeting is currently held on Thursdays from 10:00am-11:00am. You will also be assisting the Editorial Committee Facilitator in making sure that the Editorial Committee hears the newsroom staff's responses and feedback.
- Weekly, brief check-ins with the Editor
- A good understanding of creative group dynamics is essential
- Experience in journalism and knowledge of story construction
- Detail oriented, organized, and committed to quality
- Passionate interest in issues of social, economic and racial justice
To Apply: Please contact Katie, the Volunteer Coordinator, by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (206) 441-3247 ext. 212
We'll work with your schedule.
96 S. Main St.Seattle, WA 98104
- People Skills
- Reading Comprehension
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Orientation or Training
- See Position Description