Bring Joy to Someone with Alzheimer's / Dementia - Mt. Pleasant
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
41 people are interested
Make time for few hours of FUN with our 'social club’ for seniors with memory loss or other cognitive decline! Spend time:
- Playing brain games and doing puzzles,
- Working on arts and crafts,
- Cheering along with light physical activities,
- Singing and dancing during music therapy, and
- Reminiscing and sharing stories and jokes.
Depending on your interests, you can also help with meal preparation, serving and/or clean-up, or helping plan other games and activities to help stimulate, engage and improve the quality of life of those living with Alzheimer's or dementia. (Occasional musical performances, visits by small children groups or certified therapy animals, and other special guests / activities are also welcome!)
Volunteering with Respite Care Charleston doesn't require medical expertise, a background working with seniors or any special skills really - just patience, a warm smile and a willingness to try and bring joy to others! Our programs are coordinated by full time staff with the support of program assistants, so you'll never have to worry about getting thrown in on your own. The ideal volunteer would be able / willing to work out a fairly consistent schedule with a minimum of one hour per visit, with at least one visit per month - simply so we're able to plan accordingly.
Our Mt. Pleasant group meets on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10:00am to 1:45pm. To learn more or to sign up for a visit to see what we’re all about, call or email today!
About Respite Care Charleston
1605 Harbor View Drive, Multiple Locations in Charleston County, Charleston, SC 29412, US
Respite Care Charleston (RCC) provides social day programs, support groups for early stage Alzheimer’s disease, and caregiver support groups for individuals and families affected by memory disorders. Participants in our respite programs enjoy memory stimulating socialization, music, gentle exercise and therapeutic crafts; family caregivers benefit from a much-needed break. Respite care is a short break from caregiving, and helps support and strengthen families, allowing the continuation of care in the home. Since 1996, we’ve been committed to helping families in Charleston County who face the challenges of dealing with Alzheimer’s and other types of dementia. Our services are structured to help individuals and families from the beginning, during early diagnosis and throughout the continuum of care. Respite Care Charleston strives to improve the quality of life for individuals and families coping with Alzheimer’s disease and other types of dementia.
Respite Care Charleston offers:
- Half-day social respite programs for people with dementia in Mt. Pleasant, West Ashley, James Island, Johns Island, and North Charleston
- Caregiver support groups in Mt. Pleasant, West Ashley, James Island and Johns Island
- Bi-monthly support group for people with Early Stage Alzheimer's disease and dementia and the care partners.
- Care counseling
- Connecting clients with other support and services in the community.
The Social Day Program provides people with dementia the opportunity to have dignified social interaction with peers. The meaningful experience comes from stimulating activities in a safe, failure-free environment. Activities include gardening, an inter-generational programming, exercise, performances by local musicians, service projects, and other reminiscing and sensory based activities.
Respite Care Charleston provides programs and services for people with dementia and their family members through a continuum of support, education and services. RCC is the only organization that offers social respite for caregivers in Charleston County.
We'll work with your schedule.
All Saints Lutheran2107 N Hwy 17Mt. Pleasant, SC 29466
- Elder care
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- People 55+
- The ideal volunteer would be able / willing to work out a fairly consistent schedule with a minimum of one hour per visit, with at least one visit per month - simply so we're able to plan accordingly.
- Interested in getting involved but not available during program hours? Please contact us about volunteering on a committee to help with marketing, special events, fundraising, finance and other activities.