Become a friend in Erie county!
107 people are interested
Compeer recruits, screens, matches, and trains volunteers to mentor a child or adult living with a mental health diagnosis.Volunteers are mentors who become positive role models, help raise self esteem, increase social and communication skills, and encourage independence for their Compeer friends.
1 in 5 people will experience a challenge with their mental health at some time in their life. Biological, psychological, and social factors influence a change in mental health status. For example, losing a loved one, losing a job, parents going through a divorce or overall absence in a child's life, or other similar stressors can lead to depression or anxiety. Having a friend can make all the difference to someone who feels anxious, sad, or lonely. How often do you call upon your own friends to go out to eat or for coffee, to see a movie, to attend a sporting event, or even for a regular phone call? Becoming a volunteer with Compeer allows you to provide that support to someone in our community.
- We value respect, trust, hope, support, and empowerment of others
- The relationship formed between a volunteer mentor and their friend encourages a sense of belonging, which strives to support good mental health
- We match you with a friend of similar interests
- We offer matches with youth (ages 3-17); adults (ages 18-59); older adults (ages 60+); and military veterans
- Volunteers must be 18+
- One year commitment with your match
- Able to spend 4 hours per month in person with your match (ex. 1 hour per week; 2 hours biweekly)
- Able to communicate with your match via phone to coordinate meet ups
- Valid driver's license and auto insurance required
- You are NOT a therapist, social worker, or caretaker to your match- you ARE a friend!
- We currently have clients waiting for all of our programs
- Males to be matched with male youth and male adults (we have over 150 males waiting for a friend)
- Reply to this posting and the Director of Volunteer Engagement will contact you to answer any questions and provide you with next steps
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
Erie CountyErie CountyBuffalo, NY 14206
- People Skills
- Mental Health
- Relationship Building
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hour per week for 1 year
- Application, Interview, Proof of Auto Insurance