ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Workplace Literacy Volunteer Tutor
11 people are interested
Purpose: Help adult ESOL students in their workplace on basic reading, writing, and English language skills in order to increase literacy skills on the job and as individuals, parents, and residents of Guilford County and surrounding areas.
- Conduct lessons using given curricula
- Support students in literacy and workplace skills (e.g., filling out timesheets, understanding paystubs, filling out production goal charts, etc.)
- Communicate with the Program Coordinator regarding program outline, needs of students, and flow of instruction
- Commit to tutoring instruction for the duration of at least one Workplace Literacy Program cycle (typically 10-15 weeks). Program schedule varies based on the project.
- Submit any attendance to Program Coordinator after each class and report on student progress regularly.
- Complete all entry-level training sessions
- Complete a minimum of two supplemental trainings throughout the year
- Participate in the tutor coaching program
Training: Prospective tutors are required to complete all training sessions before being matched with a Workplace Literacy project. The training is designed to address the specific strategies and issues relevant to adult learning and the intake process. Please see the calendar for upcoming training dates.
Time Commitment: Tutors are asked to meet with their students for 2-4 hours each week for at least one Workplace Literacy Program cycle (typically 10-15 weeks)
- Enthusiastic about reading, writing, and the English language
- Patient with students
- At least 18 years old
- Have a high school diploma or its equivalent
Scheduling and Tutoring Sites: Details regarding meeting day(s), time(s), and site will vary based on each Workplace Literacy Program cycle.
We'll work with your schedule.
122 North Elm Street Suite 920GreensboroGreensboro, NC 27401
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training