Social Media Content Specialist - Events (Toronto Area)
17 people are interested
*please read completely, we are unable to triage incomplete applications*
As a volunteer Social Media Content Specialist with HackerNest HQ for a minimum of 16 hours a month, you wordsmith compelling, crafty, and diverse social media posts for our tech community across our social media universe - Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, website, blog, et al. to communicate our goings on, improve engagement from the community, maximize traffic and growth potential, and to tell our story, mission and brand in a unique, clever way. Some of what this involves:
- Event posts for Tech Socials that happen monthly around the world across our social media universe
- Organizing team highlight posts & blogs showcasing the people leading community growth in our cities
- Branding and direct response posts and campaigns supporting our ecosystem
- Internal organizer/volunteer network posts
- Strong copywriting skills to develop messaging for a variety of social media and marketing campaigns
- Business-level social media content management competency and skills
- Some creative skills across photo and graphics editing to create image cards for posting
- Photography skills are a plus
Please send us an email outlining (i) a bit about you and why you'd want to volunteer with us, (ii) what makes you an excellent candidate for this role, and (iii) attach a copy of your resume, links to your work & portfolio, plus any other information that would help us understand you better. It is important that your application contain these elements at a sufficiently comprehensive degree for us to make an accurate initial evaluation and respond to you. Thank you for considering HackerNest!
This is a volunteer remote role in any one of our strategic cities (Toronto/Mississauga, Kitchener-Waterloo, Vancouver, Montreal, New York City) with HackerNest’s HQ team serving the tech community ecosystem that our international nonprofit has created. HQ Volunteers offer their skill and time to support the volunteer organizing teams running our technology and innovation events in local communities around the world.
You will apply your area of knowledge and skills in event operations with our core HQ team - it is small, remote, and lean with a directive to help ensure a growing and successful tech community ecosystem by working with local HackerNest organizers to make the local events they run successful. Our ideal candidate profile:
- Lives in a key HackerNest city to be connected to our local tech community and are able to attend our Tech Socials - Toronto/Mississauga, Kitchener-Waterloo, Vancouver, Montreal, New York City
- Has 5+ years of general business and career experience with sufficient bandwidth
- Is available for a minimum of 4 hours a week (about 16 hours a month) on a flexible and adaptive schedule that could include a combination of weekdays/weeknights/weekends
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, and are familiar with myriad office software (e.g. Google Suite, Microsoft Office) plus the applications you already have expertise in
- Driven, self-motivated, are resourceful, organized, confident, dedicated, and are adept at adapting to a fast-moving, team-based environment. You work well in teams and maintain momentum when alone, consistently deliver on deadlines, & are happy to work with task platforms like Trello/Jira
HQ Volunteer Benefits
Our volunteers and organizers power our mission. Be part of something special, feel good that you’re giving back and helping make the community accessible, inclusive, and available, meet really nice people who are also interested in technology, and stand out as a leader and community advocate. Great for health, your career & network, having more real life connections, actual community impact, greater perspective, and more fun! We appreciate contributions to our community and as such, here’s a sampling of what we offer HQ Volunteers:
- Can attend regular Tech Socials around the world for free & skip any lines with special "HQ Community Team" badge highlighting your involvement with us at the HQ level
- Are recognized on the HackerNest website for their key role on the HQ team
- Have access to our closed organizer discussion groups & forums
- Receive preferred access to other HackerNest & affiliated events as and when they occur
- Receive other benefits over time as we are able to provide
HackerNest is an international organization focused on building supportive tech communities everywhere - strengthening local ecosystems through unpretentious community events, epic, meaningful, universally acclaimed cause-hackathons, and more. Our tech-community uniting projects improve humanity, technological advancement, and overall economic prosperity. HackerNest is powered by volunteers and community leaders around the world. We have produced 850+ events (including epic hackathons) in 60+ cities with partners like Facebook, Amazon, Stanford, Harvard, the UK/US/Canadian governments, Dove, Deloitte, Grindr, Airbnb, and other organizations like them. We now have a community of over 100,000 technologists around the world.
We have been afforded Special Consultative status to the United Nations Economic and Social Council. We are in the City of Toronto’s economic and technology roundtable and was part of the White House's Opportunity Project delivering solutions empowering Americans to build tools to improve community access and opportunity using federal/local open data. The U.S. Department of State’s Secretary’s Office of Global Partnerships also named HackerNest as Managing Partner for Fishackathon 2017-18, a global hackathon series in dozens of cities around the world. Check out what we're like: hackernest.com. Got questions? Drop us a note at email@example.com to chat.
We'll work with your schedule.
Anywhere in the GTAToronto, ON Canada
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Reading / Writing
- Graphic Design / Print
- 4 flexible hours a week for about 16 hours a month
- Volunteer remote role in one of our cities (Toronto/Mississauga, Waterloo, Vancouver, Montreal, NYC)