Disaster Preparedness Education Intern
Work Location: American Red Cross in Stroudsburg, PA & various community sites across four counties in Eastern PA
Time Commitment: Presenters should expect about 10 hours for training. An ideal candidate would spend at least 10 hours a week working in the office or at a field location.
Volunteer Availability: During business hours, flexible times each week, occasional weekends.
Development Opportunities: This position will give the intern a chance to expand their knowledge of hazards, coping skills, and emergency preparedness. For those interns pursuing a career in community education or work with children, this role offers experience teaching in classroom settings and working with youth. This position also allows you access to various personal and professional trainings offered by American Red Cross, International Red Cross, FEMA, Disaster Ready, and other organizations.
Internships Benefits: mentorship opportunities, develop technical expertise in preparedness programming, build resume, give back to others, explore a career, grow public speaking skills, and gain leadership skills
- Conduct presentations given to youth in schools and community settings
- Implement other youth preparedness outreach and education opportunities (K-2 presentations, preparedness fairs)
- Successfully complete training (10 hours)
- Assist with community outreach to schedule presentations at existing and new sites
- Mentor new presenters to help the region build a team of experienced youth preparedness presenters
- Work with the Disaster Program Specialist and other volunteers/ employees to build capacity within the region
- Ensure all reporting data for each presentation given is collected and inputted in a timely manner
- Other duties as agreed to between the presenter and the Disaster Program Specialist
Training: The following will be assigned upon successfully filling out a volunteer application (after acceptance for internship)
- Disaster Cycle Services: An Overview
- Basic Instructor Fundamentals for Youth
- The Pillowcase Project Fundamentals Module 1
- The Pillowcase Project Fundamentals Module 2
We'll work with your schedule.
410 Park AvenueStroudsburg, PA 18360
- Child Development
- Teaching / Instruction
- Community Outreach
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10 Hours per week