WESTMORELAND VOLUNTEER CORPSAre you looking for a one-year meaningful, paid service experience? The Westmoreland Volunteer Corps (WVC) is now accepting applications for a one-year program in the Washington DC area beginning in fall 2017. Persons of all faiths are welcome to participate. If you are a college senior with a passion for social justice and an interest in helping others, we encourage you to consider participating in our successful program. WVC has a 32-year history of changing lives -- of those who volunteer and those who benefit from their involvement.
The WVC is a one-year domestic volunteer service program sponsored by Westmoreland Congregational United Church of Christ in Bethesda, MD, a few steps from Washington D.C. It offers five young adults, typically recent college graduates, opportunities to work in direct social service through placements with Washington area service agencies. WVC identifies positions with nine participating agencies in Washington, DC, and suburban Maryland and Virginia (identified on our website) providing services such as employment counseling and job search, case worker support, maternal/child health care and other health programs, homeless services and shelters, refuge services, social justice and advocacy, and elderly support. The goals of the participating agencies are matched with the interests, skills, academic training, and career goals of the five volunteers. These positions provide opportunities for volunteers to explore possible career paths in social service, health care, law, housing, religion and education, and international aid among others. Participating agency profiles are accessible from our website.
- College degree or related work experience.
- Willingness to live simply on a limited income, cooperatively in community with four other young adults.
- Housing in a 5-person former parsonage in Bethesda, MD near public transportation
- Health insurance, transportation, monthly food allowance, and small personal expense stipend.
- Placement process that matches applicant's interests and skills with available positions.
- Simple living in a community grounded in service along with others so committed.
- Professional community counselor who meets weekly with volunteers.
- Welcoming church home with supportive board members who serve as mentors.
- Periodic retreats for reflection and evaluation.
We will be accepting applications for September 2017 placements from December 15, 2016 to February 15, 2017. The required application forms and additional information can be found at: http://westmorelanducc.org/volunteer-corps.
For questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Resource Development / Management
- People Skills
- Case Work / Management
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- ONE YEAR
- COLLEGE DEGREE OR EQUIVALENT