243 people are interested
Any time January-April: Conversation Partners for International Students at ESL School
ORGANIZATION: HOFT Institute
Please visit the new page to apply.
243 people are interested
Are you looking for a way to help the community? Would you like to help an English learner or refugee improve their speaking skills? Do you have a desire to teach English but little or no practical teaching experience? Are you interested in learning to teach, or in building up your resume to find teaching work abroad later?
Volunteers can meet students in-person from 2-3:15 Tuesdays and Thursdays. You can sign up to meet with students once or twice a week, as is convenient for you! We request a minimum of 5 hours volunteering, but you can join and leave the program at your convenience.
How It Works
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and send an introductory email to get started. Let us know if you speak other languages, have international experience, or have been trained as a teacher.
- Meet with the academic director of the institute for a short (10 minute) interview and building tour if you will be doing in-person volunteering.
- Meet students and help them practice their language skills!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How many hours do I need to volunteer?
A. You can create your own schedule, and a flexible contract will be signed with the times you expect to be available. We have a minimum of a 5 hour commitment, but you can do more if you like.
Q. Will I receive any certificate or recognition for the time I put in?
A. Yes! After completing the volunteer hours you agreed to, HOFT Institute will provide personalized certificates of appreciation, noting the hours you put in, and signed by the Vice President.
Q. Are the students children or adults?
A. Our students are adults, from 18 to 60 years of age, from about 35 different nationalities.
About HOFT Institute
2400 Pearl Street, Austin, TX 78705, US
At HOFT, we bring our 35 years of education experience into the classroom to help students from around the world believe, achieve, and prosper.
HOFT Institute provides full-time intensive English programs for F-1 visa students. We are authorized to issue I-20s, the first step in new F-1 visa student applications. HOFT is also an authorized TOEFL testing center. We offer private tutoring and part time English programs as well.
At HOFT, students are like family! We believe that a warm, inviting environment is important for our international students.
We serve the local refugee community as well through partnerships.
We value your time and efforts at HOFT, and we look forward to having you as a volunteer!
2400 Pearl StreetAustinAustin, TX 78705
December 29, 2023
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Cross-cultural Communication
- General Education
- Must be at least 18
- 5 hours minimum
- These are assets, but not required: TEFL certificate, knowledge of other languages and cultures, teaching experience, or past teacher training studies