Audio Book Monitor Volunteer
13 people are interested
Do you love a good audio book? Do you think apps and software are cool? Be the glue that helps to cement the Talking Book revolution!
Position Overview and Impact: The audio or "Talking Book" monitor operates audio recording software and monitors volunteer narrators to produce clear and artistic audio books about California or by California authors for blind and otherwise print-disabled library patrons in California and nationwide.
- Operate recording software and equipment in cooperation with narrators as part of library narration team.
- Work cooperatively with the narrator and studio coordinator to determine the narration delivery approach and style.
- Follow along and provide appropriate feedback to ensure the text is spoken exactly as it is written and follows the mood and style of the book.
- Able to work on a computer and learn how to use specific software. Knowledge of how digital audio recording works is a plus, but not required.
- Excellent command of English language and pronunciation.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Ability to work in an enclosed room while a team member reads inside a smaller sound booth on other side of large window.
Training and Support Provided: Following training for recording software, you will use recording equipment, and be informed of library audio recording standards. You will also be introduced to staff and volunteers with whom you will be working, and have access to them as needed.
Location Commitment: All studio volunteer opportunities occur on site at BTBL Headquarters, 900 N Street in Sacramento across from the State Capitol. At this time there are no remote volunteer opportunities, though that could change in coming years.
Time Commitment: 2-3 hours or more per week, or 4-8 hours or more per month through completion of at least one Talking Book. Volunteer shifts occur during business hours, Monday through Friday 9AM to 5 PM.
Length of Commitment: Time will vary with the length and complexity of the book being prepared, but an average book will usually take a few to several months. Progress is usually made at the rate of 10-30 pages per hour.
* Willingness to volunteer as either audio Book Narrator or Audio Book Reviewer at various times is optional but appreciated.
Benefits of Volunteering:
- Enhance the collection of accessible books for Californians unable to read conventional print in California and nationwide.
- Opportunity to learn or increase computer skills.
- Meet talented and dedicated people who share similar interests.
- Gain translateable audio production experience.
We'll work with your schedule.
900 N StreetSacramento, CA 95814
- Literacy / Reading
- Special Needs
- Program Management
- Basic Computer Skills
- Reading Comprehension
- Must be at least 18
- Minimum 2-4 hours per week/4-8 hours per month
- Volunteer shifts occur during business hours, Monday through Friday 9AM to 5 PM.