Academic Mentor for Middle School Students
11 people are interested
Higher Achievement closes a persistent opportunity gap for middle school students in at-risk communities by providing rigorous afterschool and summer academic support.Volunteers help prepare Richmond youth to be on the college track by the 8th grade. (Half of students who drop out of high school do so right after middle school, during their first year in high school.) At Higher Achievement we hope to create lasting change by putting individual students on a path to success during these critical years.
Academic Mentors lead a small group of 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th graders in an academic subject using a curriculum that we provide. Interacting with mentors helps scholars develop social and emotional skills. Training, curriculum, and on-site support are provided. Afterschool Academy runs from October to May and we ask Mentors to commit to one hour per week (5:10-6:10pm) on a Tuesday or Thursday.
- Submit the online application at https://higherachievement.org/become-a-mentor (Complete in one sitting and be sure to click submit)
- Register for a brief phone interview with the Volunteer Coordinator
- Complete an online training and free background check
Richmond metro-areaRichmond, VA 23230
- Math / Science Instruction
- Relationship Building
- Youth Services
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- One hour a week, 5:10-6:10pm on Tuesdays or Thursdays, for 26 weeks