Impact the Opioid Crisis with AmeriCorps VISTA
3 people are interested
Service Position Summary: While helping to ensure communities understand the correlation between poverty and opioid use, the CORP VISTA project will build capacity and leverage resources to benefit communities building coalitions to address the Colorado opioid epidemic. Members will: 1) Expand and strengthen partnerships and networks 2) Expand scale and reach to increase community awareness and program engagement 3) Build capacity for financial resources 4) Expand technology use 5) Build volunteer recruitment and management systems.
- Planning informational meetings, and developing commitments among collaborators
- Developing public relations media plans, presentations, other media to increase community awareness
- Developing outreach plans, presentations, and communications to expand outreach to program participants
- Developing fundraising plans, identifying resources for fundraising, and drafting and submitting proposals
- Developing technology plans, piloting new tools, and developing ongoing technology resources
- Assist in clarifying volunteer roles, developing volunteer generation plans, developing volunteer units, and recruiting and managing volunteers
- Developing and distributing educational presentations and marketing materials that correlate economic stressors and opioid use.
- Initiate, support and enhance community-based collaborations/coalitions with lead local partners
- Collect, document and report impact data for progress reports and monthly impact statements.
- Accurately and professionally discuss with community partners and volunteers the objectives of the AmeriCorps program, positive youth development, and site-specific objectives.
- Recruit and train community volunteers to assist with programs.
- Manage relationships with partner and community sites.
- Commit to complete your term of service and site-specific responsibilities by end of term.
- Complete contract service hours (full-time for one year) and site-specific responsibilities by end of term.
- Participate in on-going trainings and events as required and requested by AmeriCorps and/or CO AHEC Regions.
- Participate in National Days of Service
Minimum Standards of Eligibility/Selection Criteria
- Be willing to build capacity and leverage resources to benefit communities building coalitions to address the Colorado opioid epidemic as described in the position description.
- Be at least 18 years old upon entering the VISTA program.
- Be a U.S. citizen or U.S. national or a lawful permanent resident alien of the U.S.
- Successful passing of required criminal background checks, including a National Sex Offender Website search and fingerprint-based criminal history check, to serve with at-risk or vulnerable populations.
- Be willing and able to complete the required full-time hours of service by end of term.
- Be able to relate previous education, training, military, or work experience, and demonstrate other relevant skills or interests necessary to perform a specific VISTA assignment.
- Have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Understand that VISTAs serve on a full-time basis. Therefore, there are special conditions that a VISTA must meet if they decide to hold a part-time job or enroll in school part-time.
Benefits of VISTA Service:
- Members earn a median living allowance of approximately $542.22 dispersed every two weeks for their term of service (exact amounts vary by service location).
- Upon successful completion of service term, Members are eligible for either an education award of $6,095.00 or an end-of-service stipend accruing at $4.94 per day.
- Healthcare Allowance reimbursement program covers out-of-pocket expenses such as deductibles, copayments, etc., up to $7,350 (2018) for those Members with qualifying healthcare coverage.
- VISTA program Childcare benefit for qualifying Members.
- Relocation and settling in allowance.
- Loan forbearance and deferment for qualified student loans (for those choosing end-of-service stipend only
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
10200 e girard aveDenver, CO 80231
- Grant Writing / Research
- Social Work
- Community Outreach
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- This a full-time position, that will last a year