GIRLS WHO CODE VOLUNTEER
Girls Who Code is a nationwide program with the mission of closing the gender gap in technology and empowering girls to deepen their computer science skills as well as their confidence. The club at the Refugee Education and Training Center will work with girls from grades 6-12 in the refugee community, building their character and coding skills as they learn, plan, build, and celebrate together to create a project that they care about. This is a wonderful opportunity for volunteers interested in making a difference in the lives of refugee youth, because all of the teaching resources are provided and it is NOT necessary to have a background in computer science.
- Follow established Girls Who Code curriculum and program structure
- Answer questions from students with the help of "How To" videos or scripts provided by Girls Who Code
- Promote a productive classroom dynamic by managing potentially disruptive behavior
- Help with setup and/or cleanup as necessary
- NO COMPUTER SCIENCE BACKGROUND NECESSARY!
- At least 18 years of age
- Comfortable working with students ages 11-18
- Verbal communication skills
- Adaptability, patience, and cultural sensitivity
2 hours each Saturday for 20 weeks (possibility of extending); classes cancelled for holidays.
- Self-guided tutorials for students
- Detailed schedules for each Club session to help build community and guide girls to design their CS Impact Project
- Instructions on how to present the Girls Who Code Core4 Computer Science concepts of loops, variables, conditionals, and functions.
- Examples of common errors
- Scripts for Facilitators to read when girls get stuck
Volunteers will have the opportunity to learn more about refugees and develop skills such as classroom management, public speaking, presentation, and, of course, coding!
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Web Design
- Youth Services
- Computer Science
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Weekly for approximately 20 weeks
- We will provide a background check free of charge