Pillowcase Project Associate
1 person is interested
The Pillowcase Project is a national youth preparedness program offered by Red Cross regions across the country. The 40-60 minute presentation provides emergency preparedness education to youth in grades 3-5 (ages 8-11) in school classrooms and other settings. Numerous tools have been developed for this program including a standardized curriculum, workbook, quizzes and activities which have been carefully constructed with the help of curriculum and hazard experts. Many tools for presenters have been developed to foster consistency and fidelity to the program goals and objectives. The highly interactive presentation addresses home fire safety, a local natural hazard, psycho-social coping skills and household preparedness steps like making a plan and a kit.
* Conduct The Pillowcase Project presentations given to youth in schools and community settings
* May assist with community outreach to schedule presentations at sites. (this is optional)
* May assist in reaching key groups within the region, such as support to military families, as risk youth, etc.
(this is optional)
* May mentor new presenters to help the region build a team of experienced youth preparedness presenters. (this is optional)
* Work as a team with the Regional Pillowcase Program Manager and other volunteers and employees to
build The Pillowcase Project in the region.
* Ensure all reporting data for each presentation given is collected and given to regional staff in a timely
* Other duties as agreed to between the presenter and the Regional Pillowcase Program Manager.
Time Commitment: Presenters should dedicate a minimum of 7-9 hours to complete Basic Instructor Fundamentals and The Pillowcase Project Presenter Fundamentals Modules 1 and 2. Each presentation requires a 2-hour time commitment per presentation: (1 hour presentation plus time for
set-up and clean up). This does not include travel time to presentation site.
* Enthusiastic about the American Red Cross mission and programs
* Comfortable presenting an interactive curriculum to youth in grades 3-5 (ages 8-11) in school and out of
* Flexible and willingness to teach new ideas and concepts, such as the psychosocial "coping skills".
* Strong organizational skills and ability to follow through with minimum supervision
* Excellent communication skills, including public speaking
* Reliable, punctual, good time management skills
* Ability to complete reports and conduct follow up calls with sites in a timely manner
* Ability to arrange transportation to the Red Cross office to pick up materials, travel to the event location, and return materials, etc. to the office at the end of the presentation.
Sign-up to volunteer today at https://volunteerconnection.redcross.org/?nd=rco_opportunity_browse_list or email questions to Juana Zapata at Juana.Zapata@redcross.org
We'll work with your schedule.
39665 Entrepreneur LanePalm Desert, CA 92211
- Child Advocacy
- Teaching / Instruction
- Public Speaking
- Safety & Disaster Education
- General Education
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training