OMSI Innovation Station Volunteer
11 people are interested
position summary: Volunteers help visitors to engage design, build, and test solutions to personal, local, and global challenges at the Innovation Stations in the Turbine Hall. Challenges change annually and appeal to a variety of age ranges.
essential duties and responsibilities:
- Encourage visitors to create, collaborate, innovate, and iterate at the hands-on design challenge(s).
- Ask open-ended questions, co-investigate, and use other facilitation techniques to help promote inquiry and guide visitors through the design and engineering processes.
- Assist in the prototyping, iteration, set up, presentation, and resetting of daily activities.
- Maintain the integrity and appearance of activities.
- Maintain a safe, secure, and inviting environment for visitors and staff.
- Eager to facilitate visitor-led and visitor-centered experiences.
- Excited about teaching and learning through play and experimentation.
- Comfortable with open-ended problem solving.
- Desire to communicate accurate science, engineering, and design content in an engaging way with people of diverse backgrounds and a broad age range.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a noisy and crowded environment.
- Self-motivated with good problem-solving, judgment, communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Passionate about tinkering, building, and making things.
- Dependable and punctual; ability to adhere to a regular schedule preferred
- Commitment to safety and willing to uphold OMSI rules and procedures.
- Participation in an opportunity to provide input and feedback in the development of a new area of the museum.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
We'll work with your schedule.
1945 SE Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
- Child Development
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training