OMSI Innovation Station Volunteer
12 people are interested
position summary: Volunteers help visitors to engage design, build, and test solutions to personal, local, and global challenges at the Innovation Stations in the Turbine Hall. Challenges change annually and appeal to a variety of age ranges.
essential duties and responsibilities:
- Encourage visitors to create, collaborate, innovate, and iterate at the hands-on design challenge(s).
- Ask open-ended questions, co-investigate, and use other facilitation techniques to help promote inquiry and guide visitors through the design and engineering processes.
- Assist in the prototyping, iteration, set up, presentation, and resetting of daily activities.
- Maintain the integrity and appearance of activities.
- Maintain a safe, secure, and inviting environment for visitors and staff.
- Eager to facilitate visitor-led and visitor-centered experiences.
- Excited about teaching and learning through play and experimentation.
- Comfortable with open-ended problem solving.
- Desire to communicate accurate science, engineering, and design content in an engaging way with people of diverse backgrounds and a broad age range.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a noisy and crowded environment.
- Self-motivated with good problem-solving, judgment, communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Passionate about tinkering, building, and making things.
- Dependable and punctual; ability to adhere to a regular schedule preferred
- Commitment to safety and willing to uphold OMSI rules and procedures.
- Participation in an opportunity to provide input and feedback in the development of a new area of the museum.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
About Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, OR 97214, US
OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
OMSI is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and relies on admissions, memberships, and donations to continue our educational mission, programs, and exhibits.
We'll work with your schedule.
1945 SE Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
- Child Development
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training