Do you have teaching experience? Educate for the National Aviary!
7 people are interested
Department: Animal Programs
Volunteer Job title: Education Volunteer
Supervised by: Education Manager
Days needed: ALL
Number of hours required: 2-4 hours per class, 3-4 classes per month
Specific time/ shift required: Varying hours revolving around pre-scheduled classes. Generally 9:00 am - 3:00 pm/ Occasional evening hours.
A National Aviary education volunteer is a front line educator who teaches classes about birds: their characteristics, adaptations, threats and role in the environment. Educators share their passion for birds and conservation issues by teaching students from an established curriculum.
- Serve as an educator and ambassador for the National Aviary.
- Prepare for, set up and deliver educational programming to groups of school children from PreK to high school.
- Communicate with the program requestor several days prior to the class to confirm details.
- Continually work toward establishing and maintaining good working relationships with animal ambassadors.
- Experience teaching in formal or informal education settings.
- Enjoy engaging children of all ages
- Attend training classes at the National Aviary.
- Have a clear criminal background check and child abuse history.
- Submit for FBI fingerprinting or sign waiver if eligible.
- Have reliable and convenient internet access.
- Attend new volunteer orientation
- Attend at least 6 of 11 Saturday monthly meetings per year.
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours of service per year.
- Commit to selecting schedule at least one month in advance
About National Aviary in Pittsburgh
Allegheny Commons West, 700 Arch St., Pittsburgh, PA 15212, US
To inspire respect for nature through an appreciation of birds.
America's bird zoo is located in Pittsburgh, PA and fully accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). The National Aviary is the only non-profit, free-standing indoor facility in the U.S. which is wholly dedicated to avian exhibition, education, conservation, and the development and practice of leading-edge avian medicine. Our diverse collection consists of approximately 500 birds of 150 species from six continents.
We'll work with your schedule.
700 Arch StreetPittsburgh, PA 15212
- Teaching / Instruction
- Animal Care / Handling
- Environmental Education
- General Education
- Environmental Science
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 12+ hours a month, 100 hours per year
- Previous, formal, teaching experience