Foundation Board Member needed
12 people are interested
In the United States today, 70% of individuals who are blind are unemployed and one third live in poverty.
The Lighthouse stands as one of Seattle’s oldest social enterprises and is changing the landscape of employment among the blind and DeafBlind communities. The Lighthouse is a frontrunner in breaking down barriers to employment by utilizing assistive and adaptive technologies and providing comprehensive supportive services to all employees.
The Foundation Board exists to serve the Lighthouse by supporting its fundraising activities, networking in the community, establishing new relationships with individuals and businesses, and serving the mission of the Lighthouse which is to create and enhance opportunities for independence and self-sufficiency of people who are blind, DeafBlind, and blind with other disabilities.
The Foundation Board gives input on but does not set or decide specific strategies, have budget oversight, or determine yearly fundraising goals.
The Foundation Board is supported directly by the Development Team in their yearly activities.
- Positivity and passion for the mission of the Lighthouse
- Strong connections in the professional world and willingness to make introductions to the Lighthouse
- Ability and willingness to network with high-net worth individuals and philanthropists with the goal of winning new relationships and acquiring funding support
- Initiative and motivation to tap into new funding sources and work with development staff to implement appropriate funding strategies
- Commitment and eagerness to attend and participate in meetings
- Desire to build relationships with and steward existing donors
- Primary responsibilities include:
- enthusiastically attend fundraising activities like events
- introduce new people to the Lighthouse
- participate in the Lighthouse signature event in a meaningful way
- thank donors
- Make individual contributions to the organization at a meaningful level
- Participate in all four board meetings per year
- Attend annual Board of Trustees meeting networking lunch
- Conduct Development team supported outreach to build relationships with assigned portfolio of Lighthouse donors
- During annual meeting with Development Team each January:
- Complete board commitment scorecard that includes goals for event involvement, donor stewardship, donor cultivation, marketing and public relations
- Complete relationship mapping exercise
- Complete self-evaluation of scorecard during the past year
- Participate in at least one Foundation Committee per term - Signature Events Committee or Corporate Committee (other committees TBD)
- Participate in Lighthouse activities outside of meetings that demonstrate a commitment to the Lighthouse and a willingness to build relationships with those that the Lighthouse exists to serve
Please contact Kate Wiegel, Director of Institutional Relations, at 206-436-2116 or email@example.com
About The Lighthouse for the Blind, Inc.
2501 S PLUM ST, SEATTLE, WA 98144, US
We empower people who are blind, DeafBlind, and blind with other disabilities by creating diverse, sustainable, and meaningful employment opportunities.
Founded in 1918, The Lighthouse for the Blind, Inc. is a private, not-for-profit social enterprise providing employment, support, and training opportunities for people who are blind, DeafBlind, and blind with other disabilities. We are a successful manufacturing organization that is committed to making jobs accessible to blind individuals and currently employ over 460 individuals, more than 260 of whom are visually impaired. Our philosophy maintains that each employee be provided with whatever supports are necessary for success in the workplace. Employment opportunities at the Lighthouse include positions in production, customer service, accounting, machine set-up and operation, computer instruction, information technology, program management, administration, departmental supervision, development, and human resources.
We'll work with your schedule.
2501 South Plum StreetSeattleSeattle, WA 98144
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Public Relations