Danforth Memorial Library - Program Assistant (AmeriCorps) - Full-Time
Site Name & Location:
Paterson Free Public Library (Danforth Memorial Library)
Paterson, NJ 07501
About Paterson Free Public Library
The Paterson Free Public Library, New Jersey’s first public library, opens doors to ideas, discovery, knowledge and experiences to help people realize their dreams.
To fulfill this promise, the Paterson Free Public Library will:
- Provide friendly and knowledgeable service;
- Provide facilities that foster community pride and identity;
- Meet the technology needs of our community;
- Collaborate and form partnerships with other community organizations; and,
- Support the educational, intellectual, cultural and informational needs of Paterson and Passaic County.
Site Supervisor Name: Corey Fleming
Job Title: Library Director
Phone: (973) 321-1223
Fax, Email: (973) 321-1215, email@example.com
- Provide general assistance to the public in various library departments
- Take active role in creating and implementing library programs
- Assist with implementation of Summer Reading Outreach Program - "Libraries Rock"
- Research options for measurement of effectiveness of programs and development tools
- Serve as substitute bookmobile staff
- Participate in library committees and teams
- Assist in answering patron inquiries and light computer help-desk requests.
- When needed, assist at public service desks duties as requested.
- 2,500 Paterson youth will receive literacy programming to combat the summer slide
- Youth participating in the programming will demonstrate increased literacy levels
- Paterson residents will be more aware of library services and resources
- To continue providing service and adapt to the changing needs of our customers
- Minimum of a H.S. diploma or equivalent, with higher education preferred
- Ability to communicate effectively, while speaking or writing
- An interest in the educational needs of children
- Driver’s license strongly preferred
Training and Evaluation
- Attend meetings, in-service training sessions identified by SPCDC AmeriCorps Program and Paterson Free Public Library
- Attend National Days of Service, AmeriCorps Week, and events sponsored by the Corporation for National & Community Service
AmeriCorps is the domestic version of the Peace Corps. AmeriCorps Members dedicate one year of their life to serve communities throughout the United States that are in need. For this year of dedication, individuals earn a living stipend, education award, and more! SPCDC AmeriCorps Members serve in all aspects of the agency's work. Duties range from working in the SPCDC Food Pantry, case management in our homeless men's shelter, and mentoring students in after school and summer programs throughout the City of Paterson, NJ.
SPCDC offers its members different benefits based on a member’s level of commitment.
* Full-Time Members commit to serve 1700 hours (approximately 35-40 hours per week).
Position Type: Full-Time
Volunteer Hours to Complete: 1700
Bi-weekly Financial Stipend: $538.46
Total Stipend Amount: $14,000.00
Educational Award: $6,095.00
*Access to NJSCNCS Trainings, Professional Development Workshops, & Access to AmeriCorps Alumni Resources
*Participation in FREE End of the Year Trip to Washington D.C
Contact AmeriCorps Program Director for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or (973) 710-3900 ext. 433.
About St. Paul's Community Development Corporation
456 Van Houten Street, Paterson, NJ 07501, US
The mission of St. Paul's Community Development Corporation is to serve as an agent of hope, partnering with others to provide needs driven services that improve the quality of life and encourage greater self-sufficiency.
St. Paul's Community Development Corporation (SPCDC) is a secular, not-for-profit organization, guided by a diverse and voluntary board of directors that bridges racial, economic, geographic, and religious boundaries.
Our purpose is to alleviate the conditions of hunger, homelessness, unemployment, under-employment, poverty and illiteracy in the City of Paterson. We do this by providing emergency services to all in need and by designing long-term approaches to achieving social and economic improvement at the grassroots level.
250 BroadwayPaterson, NJ 07501
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Americorps Application, 2 References, Resume