K-12 Garden Educators-Ecology-Gardening-MultiArts-Literacy-Nutrition-Health (Diverse locations)
2 people are interested
K-12 Garden Educators-Ecology-Gardening-MultiArts-Literacy-Nutrition & Gardeners
employment type: part-time
This year-round position is a unique opportunity to work with a leading-edge, creative, environmental and educational nonprofit, Life Frames, Inc., dedicated to integrating community resources and creating transformative ecological and multicultural learning landscapes. Called A Living Library and Think Park, this program works with local schools and other community resources, to build on-site educational organic gardens and content-rich landscapes interlaced with other ecological elements, including the arts and digital technologies. A Living Library is linked to the curricula of the schools and animates all subjects through real-world experience. Students, together with adults, are involved in all aspects of the research, planning, design, implementation, use, maintenance, management and communications of the transformed learning environments and integrated community programs.
(Life Frames, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to establishing a team of staff and volunteers who reflect the multicultural and linguistic diversity of the communities that we serve.)
Dynamic Teachers For Middle School and High School, plus PreK-5 Students: Organic Gardening / California Natives / Ecology / Multi- Arts / Technology / Literacy / Nutrition Teacher (part-time)
The dynamic, inspired, and cheerful, outdoor educator and expert gardener will be leading groups of K-12 (or PreK and TK) students and teachers, in hands-on learning and doing, in: organic and native gardening and tree planting, multi-arts including digital media, literacy and nutrition projects, as well as leading students in researching local ecology, history, watersheds, and existing local community, including its natural, multicultural, and built resources. You will be doing some student outreach and recruitment, attracting students for hands-on, learning programs, and leading gardening, related landscape, and arts activities as standards-based learning processes. You will be communicating about sustainability, ecological systems and native landscapes as well as performing community outreach activities with children and adults in ways that are fun, educational, and relevant. You will also help with some administration of program.
* The exceptional candidate must have at least a B.A. and knowledge of science, organic gardening, California native species, and the arts; digital media a plus ! MUST ALSO BE AN EXCELLENT GARDENER !
* Must have extensive experience teaching, including Elementary, Middle School and High School students - working creatively and artistically with all learners with knowledge of Common Core Standards
* Must be excellent and have ease in managing and leading groups of students with good classroom management skills in an outdoor setting
* Must have a dynamic, outgoing personality and ability to attract middle school youth's participation in hands-on afterschool and summer program and captivate and hold young students' attention
* Must be an excellent organic gardener, tree planter, and landscaper with knowledge of botany, cycles of life, insects, natural pest management, companion planting, California Native species, plant communities, nutrition & health
* Knowledge about San Francisco ecology and watershed systems very important !
* Must have excellent communication, writing, research skills & experience with curriculum development; knowledge of state standards a plus
* Must have an evolved aesthetic/design sensibility; ability to draw well is fantastic and able to make attractive digital flyers a real win; carpentry skills are desired; digital media, video & other art skills a real plus!
* Bilingual Spanish, Tagalog, Cantonese, or Mandarin, a real plus !!!
* Must be creative, hard-working, strong with a can-do attitude, a self-starter, resourceful, flexible, team player, good team teacher, and able to also take direction from the Director
* Ability & willingness to do some administrative work and social media !
* Must be able to do physical gardening work and be able to lift 50 lbs
To find out more about A Living Library:
please visit our blog: www.alivinglibrary.org
Reply to the Founder and Director with cover letter and resume: email@example.com
About Life Frames Inc.
93 Mirabel Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94110, US
The mission of Life Frames, Inc is to develop site and culturally-sensitive designs for community learning environments in different locales with extensive community involvement through Community Research Mentoring Teams that utilize all the resources in the area--human, ecological, economic, historic, technological, and aesthetic. Each of these environments has integrated programs, project-based interdisciplinary curricula, and community-originated products establishing the sites as vital life-long learning magnets for the community as well as adding to the economic and community development of each area.
The Goal of Life Frames is to develop Branch Living Libraries in different communities of the world to be connected using state-of-the-art communications technologies. The programs and projects of Life Frames, Inc. are meant to link and demonstrate the interconnections between systems and phenomena--biological, cultural, and technological.
Volunteers will have the unique opportunity to work with a cutting-edge, growing, environment, education and multi-arts nonprofit, Life Frames, Inc., dedicated to integrating community resources, working with local stakeholders, and transforming the environment. They will assist the Project Director or A.L.L. teachers to design and implement community outreach, teach gardening and ecology to local children and adults, perform gardening and landscaping, and help develop communications strategies for the environmental transformation of several Branch Living Library & Think Parks in San Francisco and New York.
We'll work with your schedule.
93 MirabelSan Francisco, CA 94110
- Teaching / Instruction