Summary: Assist BACT’s Conservation@School Coordinator with school fieldwork experiences, summer internships and classroom presentations for high school students.
Lots of different opportunities. Feel free to volunteer to help with one or all of the following: Opportunity to work with Conservation@School Coordinator to assist in any of the following programs:
- Summer Internships: During the first 2 weeks of June assist with habitat restoration education, stream monitoring experiences as well as data collection and reporting at BACT preserves located in Barrington, IL. (Internship experiences during the week of June 10. You do not need to commit to entire timeframe.)
- Assist the Conservation@School Coordinator with fieldwork experiences with high school students during the school year. Future opportunities could include running your own field experience if desired. Topics could include: habitat restoration, pollinators, stream monitoring, organic farming, citizen science monitoring, etc. (Hours and dates vary.)
- Provide classroom presentations to high school students (information and powerpoint provided). (Hours and dates vary.)
- Enjoy spending time in nature and working with students!
- Passionate about sparking an interest in the natural sciences and motivating youth to be active environmental stewards.
- Easily build rapport with students, reaching a broad, diverse, and inclusive environment; and knows the developmental needs of middle/ high school youth.
- Outgoing, flexible, friendly and willing to have fun!
- Helpful but not necessary to have some knowledge of native plants and their habitats; invasive plants and their control; and general ecology concepts.
- Ability to traverse uneven terrain in wide variety of weather conditions.
- An interest in conservation, environmental education and the mission of the BACT.
- A completed volunteer applicationincluding completed liability and photo release form. Visit bactrust.org and click on VOLUNTEER to apply.
- An interview with the Conservation@School Coordinator.
- All our welcome! - Retired teachers, college students, anyone who enjoys spending time in nature, getting a little dirty and inspiring our next generation of conservation stewards!
We'll work with your schedule.
145 West Main St., Suite 201Barrington, IL 60010
- Math / Science Instruction
- Habitat Restoration
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Science
- People Skills
- Orientation or Training