Mentor (January start)
67 people are interested
Mentors work with low-income high school students to plan for and apply to college, during Saturday afternoon sessions in the Loop. This involves building a strong, trusting, empathetic relationship with your mentee. Each student is matched with two mentors, who work closely to help their student become well-rounded and navigate the college experience from application to graduation. Our mentors serve as positive role models and catalysts for the students, encouraging them to fulfill their full potential.
We are recruiting now for Mentors to begin in January 2019.
What we look for:
- The ability to commit to one year (3 years preferred) with Minds Matter Chicago, show up prepared for session at least 80% of Saturdays from September through May.
- Be accessible over phone or email during the week for your mentee and the broader Minds Matter Chicago community.
- The ability to set goals that mentees can achieve.
- Being responsive with communications to your mentee, and also conscientious about your attendance (e.g. provide advanced notice of absences)
- The ability to build rapport and trust with people of all different backgrounds, experiences and ages; especially students from first generation college or low-income backgrounds.
- A demonstrated passion for understanding people and what motivates them.
We'll work with your schedule.
430 S Michigan AveChicago, IL 60605
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Youth Services
- Background Check
- Must be at least 22
- Orientation or Training
- College Degree