Social Media Assistant
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
10 people are interested
Disclaimer: This volunteer position requires an application that will be provided by the Dallas Jewish Historical Society once we receive notification of your interest in volunteering. Please read the full description carefully
This position will report to the DJHS Archivist, but will occasionally also assist the Executive Director and Administrative Assistant with various clerical tasks. This is an excellent opportunity to learn more about the Dallas Jewish community, while earning experience in a nonprofit setting!
Social Media Content Creation and Scheduling volunteers will play an integral role within the organization - to assist in improving our social media presence and building our reputation. This is a hands-on position that will require a combination of sitting and standing, as well as some lifting and moving of boxes weighing up to 50 pounds. Training will be provided for all tasks and assignments, so no previous experience is required. However, we do recommend the following:
- strong organizational skills
- strong attention to detail
- proficiency with Microsoft Office
- proficiency with Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Canva, and Buffer is a plus
- willingness to learn new procedures and software programs
- an interest in history and social media
Duties will include:
- Identify objects and/or photographs within the collection to create social media content for, in collaboration with the Archivist
- Photograph objects or scan photographs as needed
- Participating in special events and programs to take photographs, and collect quotes, and other information for social media
- Write "blurbs" tailored to each post, utilizing relevant hashtags
- Build a surplus of content, being proactive with future planning, to schedule posts on Buffer
We require a commitment for a minimum 3 months, with no less than 4 hours per week. Volunteer hours must be served in increments of no less than 2 hours. Each volunteer opportunity is unique and specific projects will be based on the experience, education, and interests of each applicant.Please contact our Volunteer Director and Archivist, Jessica Schneider, to find out more about the application, interview and scheduling process.
Background of the organization:
The Dallas Jewish Historical Society works to collect and preserve the papers, photographs, and artifacts that illustrate the history of the Jewish community in Dallas. We strive to keep the past alive through innovative programming, community outreach, and by making our collections accessible to our patrons and researchers. Our archive includes textual documents, maps, photographs, slides, artwork, objects, textiles, and an extensive oral history collection in various formats from vinyl to digital. Programs include the Lecture Series, the Oral History Program, Historic Bus Tours, and Photo Socials.
Our community engagement efforts and daily tasks result in a surplus of projects that include everything from filing to data entry, to research, to occasional editing and revision of outgoing communications.
We'll work with your schedule.
7900 Northaven RoadDallas, TX 75230
- Data Entry
- Basic Computer Skills
- Social Media / Blogging
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
- People 55+
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of 3 months, no less than 4 hours per week