- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
7 people are interested
Disclaimer: This volunteer position requires an application that will be provided by the Dallas Jewish Historical Society once we receive notification (by voly.org) of your interest in volunteering. Please read the full description carefully
This position will report to the DJHS Archivist, but will occasionally also assist the Executive Director and Administrative Assistant with various clerical tasks. This is an excellent opportunity to learn more about the Dallas Jewish community, while earning experience in a nonprofit setting!
Object Photography volunteers will play an integral role within the organization - to assist in the continued organization and accessibility of our extensive and diverse collection by helping us to include digital images of collections items on our website and in our database. This is a hands-on position that will require a combination of sitting and standing, as well as some lifting and moving of boxes weighing up to 50 pounds. Training will be provided for all tasks and assignments, so no previous experience is required. However, we do recommend the following:
- strong organizational skills
- strong attention to detail
- willingness to learn new procedures
- an interest in history, historical preservation, and photography
Duties will include:
- Verifying item numbers and shelf locations
- Cross-referencing donor files to ensure accuracy of records
- Proper handling and care when moving objects to the photography booth
- Setup and breakdown of equipment such a camera, tripod, lighting tents, and photo backdrops
- Taking clear images that allow for easy identification of objects
- Saving photographs to the appropriate location in a variety of formats, such .jpeg, .tiff, and .png
- Creating item numbers, as needed, in collaboration with the archivist
- Updating spreadsheets and database records, as needed
We require a commitment for a minimum 3 months, with no less than 4 hours per week. Volunteer hours must be served in increments of no less than 2 hours. Each volunteer opportunity is unique and specific projects will be based on the experience, education, and interests of each applicant.Please contact our Volunteer Director and Archivist, Jessica Schneider, to find out more about the application, interview and scheduling process.
Background of the organization:
The Dallas Jewish Historical Society works to collect and preserve the papers, photographs, and artifacts that illustrate the history of the Jewish community in Dallas. We strive to keep the past alive through innovative programming, community outreach, and by making our collections accessible to our patrons and researchers. Our archive includes textual documents, maps, photographs, slides, artwork, objects, textiles, and an extensive oral history collection in various formats from vinyl to digital. Programs include the Lecture Series, the Oral History Program, Historic Bus Tours, and Photo Socials.
Our community engagement efforts and daily tasks result in a surplus of projects that include everything from filing to data entry, to research, to occasional editing and revision of outgoing communications.
We'll work with your schedule.
7900 Northaven RoadDallas, TX 75230
- Data Entry
- Critical Thinking
- People 55+
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of 3 months, no less than 4 hours/week.