Position Title: Human Resources Intern
Team : Operations
Reports to : Global Human Resources Manager
Associate Director of Operations
Period: Fall 2018
About Asylum Access
Asylum Access is a leading refugee human rights organization headquartered in Oakland, CA with substantial operations in three countries plus partnerships in additional countries across Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Asylum Access is the only global organization working to make human rights a reality for refugees in first countries of refuge. Our unique combination of five integrated strategies provides grassroots assistance and changes the legal landscape for refugees and their host communities. By helping refugees assert their rights, we are putting power back into their hands. Our work transforms the traditional approach of endless humanitarian handouts to a sustainable solution that gives refugees the tools to provide for themselves and make choices about their own lives.
Asylum Access envisions a world where refugees are seen as people with rights, not just people with needs. Asylum Access believes that by empowering refugees to assert their human rights, we can create effective, lasting solutions for refugees around the world.
The Human Resources Intern joins the global human resources team, and will assist in both ongoing and project-based work. Potential projects include assisting in building organizational systems to allow the human resources department to more efficiently manage information, collecting information for headcount planning initiatives, and planning and scheduling for Oakland-based human resources initiatives. This internship offers an opportunity to gain experience in how a global organization manages and supports its people, resources, and information to achieve impact.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Assisting Global Human Resources Manager in administration of Oakland human resources. Potential duties might include organizing and scheduling interviews and staff/intern/volunteer events, processing paperwork and forms
- Collecting and organizing data for organizational initiatives, including headcount planning initiatives
- Building organizational systems for HR information storage and accessibility
- Google Suite administration
- Participation in global human resources initiatives, possibly including but not limited to: staff engagement surveys, global compliance review, headcount planning, etc.
- Some experience and/or coursework in Human Resources
- Interest in human resources administration
- High level of attention to detail
- Solid organizational skills; ability to manage projects to completion
- Ability to and interest in working both independently and collaboratively
- Interest in international human rights and/or refugee rights and/or related topics
- Ability to work with diverse individuals and groups. Candidate should be culturally sensitive
- Basic working knowledge of Gmail, Google Drive, Microsoft Office and related tools (Docs, Sheets, etc.)
- Fluency in Spanish will be a considered a plus
Hours and Location of Work
This position will require 10-15 hours of work per week. Work will be mostly to fully remote, though occasional visits to the Asylum Access office in Oakland, CA can be arranged. Schedule and hours are somewhat flexible and official committed hours and work time will be formalized between the selected candidate and the position supervisor.
This is a part-time, unpaid internship.
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . In your cover letter, please describe your reasons for applying, relevant qualifications, and how you learned about the position.
Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants in need of accommodation during the interview can contact HR at email@example.com.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18