Family Interaction Specialist
6 people are interested
Family Interaction Specialists provide supervision services to families in CHIPS (children in need of protection and services). They provide parents with additional opportunities to spend time with their children in community settings, with the hopes of bringing the family back together. Volunteers observe these interactions and give objective reports, while also serving as a mentor and advocate for the parents and families.
Please apply on our website: http://canopycenter.org/how-to-help/how-to-apply.html
If you have any questions or concerns about the position, feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Duties and Activities
- Coordinate and facilitate visits, including maintaining contact with parents, children, foster families, social worker/case manager, and Canopy Center staff.
- Observe and report on parent interaction with their child during a weekly two-hour visit.
- Document and submit all visit notes in a timely manner.
- Report unusual or questionable visits or any concerns immediately to the P2C Case Manager.
- Attend quarterly trainings and case reviews.
- Provide support and resources to families as needed.
- Direct experience for those interested in counseling, social work, and other related fields.
- Learn about issues facing parents and families with special needs.
- Develop communication and report-writing skills.
About Canopy Center
1457 E. Washington, Madison, WI 53703, US
Canopy Center's mission is to help strengthen families and support children, teens, and adults impacted by trauma and adversity. We are committed to providing culturally competent and diverse professional, volunteer, and peer services.
Canopy Center is a child abuse treatment and prevention agency which was created in 1977 by a young mother who had been abused as a child. The impact this abuse was having on her own parenting methods led her to bring a national parent support group model to Madison. While most other methods of addressing child abuse either removed children from their families or ignored abuse until it became more serious or fatal, this method worked to strengthen the family unit and address the long-term effects of child abuse. For over 40 years now, Canopy Center has protected children by helping parents end the cycle of abuse.
Today, Canopy Center is a non-profit organization providing three distinct programs, which offer support, advocacy, and therapy to families with diverse backgrounds. Our canopy of services include:
Parent-to-Child Family Interaction Program (P2C) - an extension of Dane County Human Services, which provides supervised visitation on nights and weekends to families in the foster care system.
Dane County Court-Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) - a program that trains and supervises community volunteers to work with children in the child welfare system. CASA provides support, resources, and advocacy for these children.
Oasis Sexual Abuse Treatment - individual and group therapy for children and adults who have been victims of sexual abuse as well as their non-offending caregivers.
We'll work with your schedule.
1904 Winnebago StMadison, WI 53704
- Child Development
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Must have a high school diploma or G.E.D.