Fall Volunteers Needed! At Mujeres Unidas Avanzando
7 people are interested
At Mujeres Unidas Avanzando (MUA), our mission is to help women to break the barriers that stand in the way of their social and economic growth. Through our programs, MUA serves low-income residents from Dorchester and Boston’s surrounding neighborhoods, the clear majority of whom are Latina, although any woman is welcome to take advantage of our programs and services. We offer English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes; High School Equivalency preparation in Spanish (Hi-SET); computer classes; health workshops and focus groups; HHA and Phlebotomy trainings; Citizenship Preparation; counseling; basic needs referrals and assistance; Family Literacy; one-on-one tutoring provided by volunteers; pull-out sessions for struggling students in Pre-ESOL and ESOL; and on-site child care for mothers with pre-school aged children participating in MUA’s program. Classes run from 9:30-12:00 and 12:00-3:30 to enable mothers to attend our program. We also have a night program open towomen and men, featuring ESOL classes (Tuesday - Thursday) and Hi-SET classes (Monday - Thursday). All services are free.
MUA has a flexible schedule and a casual work environment. We are on the MBTA Red Line and provide an authentic setting in which to practice your Spanish; apply your teaching skills; or apply knowledge from a wide range of academic backgrounds, including Sociology, Communications, Education, International Relations, Women’s Studies, Latin American Studies, Economic Development, Marketing, etc. The following volunteer opportunities are available starting in September 2018:
- Tutor individual ESOL students in pull-out sessions
- Tutor Hi-SET students in all subjects in Spanish (strong need for math tutors)
- Facilitate ESOL conversation groups
- Serve as a Teaching Assistant in our ESOL Classes, Citizenship Preparation Classes, Computer Skills Classes, and/or HHA/Phlebotomy Training Courses
- Assist with general office responsibilities
- Help with our child care services
- Assist with Social Media, Marketing, and/or Outreach
- Organize Family Literacy activities for mothers and children
- Implement workshops around women’s issues, family health, women’s health, immigration issues, economic empowerment, etc.
- ...Or, a project of your creation!
We can be reached at 617-282-3500, Ext. 202, or most easily via email at email@example.com (please include "Fall Volunteer" in the subject line.) Please contact us to discuss an opportunity or for more information about any of these positions!
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
54 Clayton StBoston, MA 02122
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Community Outreach