15 people are interested
The Oak Park Conservatory’s Gift Shop is a year-round source for environmental friendly gardening & nature-related products for children and adults. The Gift Shop features: nature & gardening related books for children, games, crafts and toys, miniature gardening & terrarium supplies, Conservatory grown plants & seasonal items such as fall bulbs & winter greens.
In the Gift Shop
- Greet customer as they enter the gift shop.
- Become familiar with gift shop product lines.
- Answer questions about merchandise.
- Process sales on cash register.
- Restock shelves and assist in keeping the shop clean and orderly.
- Assist in taking monthly inventory.
- Restock, water, and tend to gift shop plants.
Outside the Gift Shop
- Clean, check, organize, restock and keep inventory of free children materials. Set out materials each morning at opening and ensure materials are organized and put away at close, daily.
- Exploration backpacks
- Scavenger Hunt clipboards
- Onsite Library
- Conservatory coloring sheets
- Discovery Garden tools
- Hand out stickers to children
- Restock pamphlet/brochure racks as assigned by Conservatory Director.
- Other duties as assigned by Conservatory or FOPCON staff.
- Ability to handle money.
- Basic math skills.
- Operate a computerized cash register.
- Outgoing, courteous, friendly, and positive attitude.
- Patient, with ability to assist the public, including small children.
- Frequent sitting, bending, standing, reaching.
- Lift heavy items to the best of your ability.
- One day per week for three hours, from 10am until 1pm, or 1pm until 4pm, ideally for a minimum of six months but we would be willing to consider volunteers interested in only working through the end of the year (holiday season). May include weekends.
- Reports to Conservatory Receptionist or Volunteer and Program Coordinator.
- Business Casual. Keep in mind that you are representing the Oak Park Conservatory and the Friends of the Oak Park Conservatory. Be sure to wear your name tag.
Training consists of a tutorial to use the cash register and a general overview of where goods, plants for restocking, materials, are located. Any plant-related questions should be referred to the Horticulture Supervisor or Director of Horticulture.
Training for this position will be provided. Also, the Conservatory Receptionist will be available for questions and assistance.
About Friends of the Oak Park Conservatory
615 Garfield St., Oak Park, IL 60304, US
The purpose of The Friends of the Oak Park Conservatory is to promote community interest in the Oak Park Conservatory, to offer educational and recreational opportunities and to support projects, which benefit the Conservatory.
Volunteers with the Friends of the Oak Park Conservatory (FOPCON) engage in a variety of activities, including plant care, education programs, administrative tasks, special events and leadership opportunities.
In 2017, more than 200 volunteers donated 7000+ hours to the Conservatory, and we anticipate more hours in 2018, as volunteers continue to expand on the education programs, and special events created and presented by FOPCON.
Join us by contacting the Volunteer and Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 708-725-2460, Option 2.
We'll work with your schedule.
615 Garfield StreetOak Park, IL 60304
- Data Entry
- Event Planning / Management
- Administrative Support
- General Education
- Community Outreach
- Background Check
- Must be at least 13
- Orientation or Training
- Time commitment will vary with each opportunity