Caring adult mentor
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
1 person is interested
Process for Enrolling Mentors
The first step is completion of an application.
Screening process includes:
- Reference checks.
- An in-depth in-person interview.
- Background checks including: statewide Magisterial check, a PA State Police, and Nationwide FBI criminal record history, Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare child abuse history, and a Pennsylvania Department of Transportation driving record check.
- Background checks are completed every 3 years
- Driving Record check completed annually
- The Guidance Center uses BBBSA National Program standards for processing screening information once it is received.
- Any potential volunteer that has perpetrated any crime involving a child or dependent adult is immediately disqualified.
- The program also disqualifies adults who have committed a violent crime and those on parole or probation.
- Considerations for other issues or concerns regarding the results of background checks are dealt with on a case-by-case basis.
All applicants will be notified whether or not they have been accepted after background checks have been processed, reference checks have been completed and all the information has been reviewed. Completion of the screening process generally takes between 4-6 weeks.
The Guidance Center’s Big Brothers Big Sisters program reserves the right to accept or deny participants at any time.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jefferson, Elk and McKean Counties
994 Beaver Drive, DuBois, PA 15801, US
"Provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one relationships that change lives for the better, forever." Big Brothers Big Sisters of America
The Guidance Center is a private non-profit agency, based out of Bradford, Pennsylvania, providing a variety of prevention, education and intervention services to children and families. Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) is an evidence based prevention program provided in Jefferson, Elk and McKean Counties.
The Guidance Center first initiated mentoring services in McKean County in 1980 and became an affiliate agency of the Big Brothers Big Sisters National Organization in 1992 after completing an in depth site review process. BBBS xpanded services to serve Elk County in 2001 and Jefferson County in 2008.
Big Brothers Big Sisters provides mentoring services to youth. Staff screen volunteers, make matches based on common interests, and provide support to mentors, children served, and their parent/caregivers throughout the life of the match.
Community Program: The traditional program focuses on matching one adult volunteer, age 18 or older, with one child or youth between the ages of 5-18.
- Matches share time together engaging in mutually agreed upon recreational/leisure activities within the community.
- Matches are required to spend between 4-12 hours a month together and meet 2-4 times per month.
- Mentors are asked to make an initial one-year commitment although many community-based matches continue over multiple years.
This service is available throughout Jefferson, Elk, and McKean Counties.
We'll work with your schedule.
Jefferson CountyElk CountyMcKean CountyDuBois, PA 15801
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3 -4 times per month; minimum of 4 hours per month
- caring, supportive, positive role model