Volunteer Veterinarians Needed!
DONATE TO THIS
3 people are interested
The mission of PAWS is to preserve, support and nurture the human-animal bond for those most vulnerable in our community, through pet food, subsidized vet care, and volunteer supportive services; dog-walking, in-home cat care, transports to vet visits, and emergency pet fostering. All of our clients are low-income San Francisco residents who are seniors (over 60 years old) and/or living with a disabling illness or condition. We serve about 600 people and their 800 pets each year.
The role of "Ask The Vet" Volunteer Veterinarian is to lead drop-in consults with PAWS clients.
When: First Tuesdays of the month, with the exception of major holidays, (2pm-5pm) and many Saturdays (10am-1pm)
Where: PAWS Office
- Volunteer Veterinarians must be licensed in California
- Volunteer Veterinarians must carry their own malpractice insurance
- Minimum of one year experience working in a veterinary environment
- Perform animal restraint and animal handling tasks within a limited clinic environment
- Attend a PAWS Training: a one-time Tuesday evening 3-hour session to learn about PAWS history, services and clients
- Sign up and attend at least 4 consults over a 6-month period. Volunteers are welcome to do more shifts than this if they able and available
- Attend PAWS Volunteer Veterinary Committee meetings, 2 hours, twice a year
- Comfort working with PAWS client population
- Sign in clients and their pets*
- Pull client files*
- Prepare paperwork for each client visit*
- Lift pets and provide animal restraint as needed
- Provide basic exams (e.g. vital signs, physical exams, non-surgical wound care, administering ear drops, subcutaneous fluids, etc)
- Record consult visit details
- Perform nail trims and anal gland expressions
- Counsel/education clients on pet health issues
- Communicate with PAWS Care Navigators regarding client/pet issues as appropriate
- Meet clients where they are at
*= on "Ask The Vet" days when there is no Volunteer Vet Tech present
We'll work with your schedule.
3170 23rd St.San Francisco, CA 94110
- Animal Care / Handling
- Orientation or Training