Help Create a Healthy Wetland at the 52nd St. Wetlands in Tacoma!
8 people are interested
Join EarthCorps and the City of Tacoma as we begin restoration of 52nd Street Wetlands in South Tacoma The Basics EarthCorps is working with the City of Tacoma's Open Spaces program to lead volunteer events at several open space sites around Tacoma. EarthCorps supplies gloves, tools, water and snack bars. We will teach you everything you need to know about tool use, safety, forest health, and the importance of the work you will be doing. No experience necessary, just come ready to learn something new! Be sure to sign in at registration when you arrive.
This video, made by our friends at the Green Seattle Partnership may give you a better idea of what to expect. For your safety and comfort please bring:
- Clothing that can get dirty (because it will!)
- Long pants and long sleeves (helps protect against prickly plants)
- Sturdy shoes that can handle some mud (closed toed shoes are required such as work boots, hiking boots, rubber boots, etc.NO sandals, flats or heels)
- Rain gear and warm layers -OR- sun protection (check the weather!)
- Sack lunch and snacks (to refuel)
- Full water bottle (we will have a jug on-site for re-fills)
- Travel mug for tea/coffee
- If you have a favorite pair of gloves, feel free to bring them (otherwise we're happy to provide a pair)
In order to help create healthy forests, the work can include:
- Removing aggressive weeds (like English Ivy or Himalayan Blackberry)
- Maintaining areas where these weeds have been removed (weeding or spreading mulch)
- Planting trees and shrubs during the rainy season (often ~Oct.-Feb.)
Youth and school groups are welcome to attend; leaders should contact the Volunteer Teamto take care of all necessary preparations.
Meet at S. Mullen St., Tacoma, 98409 (between S 49th St and S 52nd St) . Signs will be placed out on S. 48th at Mullen St.
From the west, take S. Orchard St. and turn east on S. 48th St., then right on S. Mullen.
From the east, take Tyler street, turn west on S. 49th St., right on S. Gove St., left on S. 48th and then left on S. Mullen.
5224 S. Mullen St.Tacoma, WA 98409
- Habitat Restoration
- Environmental Education
- People 55+
- Join us for this 3 hour event
- Youth under 14 years of age must be accompanied by a responsible adult or parent. Those under 18 years old, without a parent at the event, must bring a completed youth waiver.