Interested in Education, Youth Development, and Health? Mentor with MIKE!
1 person is interested
Interested in helping today’s youth develop through health education? Mentor with MIKE!
Our partner site, Hillsboro Big Picture, in Hillsboro recovering from a remodel, so UDATED training and start time. Still: Apply NOW!
Complete pre work before all-day training (8:30 AM-4:00 PM) Saturday, September 14, 2019. (Alternate or Make-up day TBD (To-Be-Determined, that is, ask to arrange, e.g. Monday September 16, 2019)
Support local youth while gaining experience and honing skills in health education and youth development by mentoring with MIKE Program! MIKE is accepting applications for health mentors for fall semester 2019.
MIKE empowers youth to be health leaders through education, mentorship, and community outreach.
Health and education are linked. The level of education is the best predictor of health outcomes. The healthier you are the more likely you are to attain an education. The more education you have, the more likely you are to be healthy. Therefore, MIKE works toward health equity & educational parity. MIKE’s vision: All people meeting their potential of vibrant good health, contributing as members of a vibrant, strong society.
You will act as a guide and positive role model for a group of 3-5 youth. You will join a teacher and MIKE staff to work with your youth along with a team of other mentors and their assigned youth. Mentors facilitate small group discussions, assist with hands-on activities, participate in a field trip, and facilitate a final Health Leadership Project as each youth team creates a project to promote health within their own community. Mentors will take turns providing healthy snacks to the class (paid for by MIKE Program).
When and how often: Mentors meet once per week, only during weeks when school is in session
Where: Hillsboro: In a science or general advisory classroom at Hillsboro Big Picture, just off the Blue Max Line in Hillsboro or accessible by Trimet bus.
Times: Meeting time/day Wednesday 10:55 AM-12:25 PM
- With youth 11:09AM-12:18PM
Placement with youth: after onboarding and training- September 18, 2019-January 29, 2019
Benefits to Mentoring:
- Professional Development
- Experience working with adolescents (9-graders) from diverse backgrounds
- Free training and support in areas of adolescent health, youth development, and education
- Making a difference by guiding youth to learn about and embrace healthy behaviors
- Possible eligibility for academic credit, internship credit, or volunteer hour (direct service hours!) completion credits
- Professional recommendations for committed and dependable qualifying mentors
- At least 20 years old
- Live in the Portland Metro Area
- Reliable transportation (includes public transportation)
- Interest in public health, education, youth development, social service, diverse communities
- Role model for health
- Good communication and listening skills
- Encouraging and supportive
- Patient and flexible
- Punctual and responsible
- Embraces individual differences
- Responsive to e-mail communication
- Open to participate in training and give feedback on your experience
- Complete on-line mentor application, which includes your resume, and provide at least 3 references
- Orientation and Interview with MIKE Program staff
- Fingerprint background check and reference check
- On-line and in-person on-boarding and training-arranged at time of interview
- Commitment throughout entire project time: every time/every week school is in session. It is imperative that once placed as a MIKE Program mentor, you attend all mentoring sessions and complete your term of service so that as a MIKE mentor you do not join the ranks of adults who have disappointed a vulnerable teen. Any absences should be planned with MIKE staff prior to undertaking this volunteer opportunity
- Attend a free full day MIKE Program Mentor Training just prior to placement with youth at Providence St. Vincent Hospital (9155 SW Barnes Rd., Portland, Oregon 97225) 9/7/2019 with make-up TBD
To learn more and apply online, please visit http://mikeprogram.org/get-involved/become-a-mentor/.
9155 SW Barnes Rd., Ste. 219
Portland, OR 97225
About Multicultural Integrated Kidney Education Program (MIKE Program)
9155 SW Barnes Road, Suite 219, Portland, OR 97225, US
Our Mission is to empower youth to be health leaders through education, mentorship and community outreach.
MIKE Program is a community-based non-profit organization. We partner with schools and youth agencies serving economically disadvantaged, racially/ethnically diverse teenagers. MIKE Program brings information and activities which put overall health promotion in the center of teenagers’ educational and social experiences, preparing them to develop community strength through outreach to others and exposure to health care careers.
Our holistic programming guides us towards our goals:
- Empower youth to embrace and promote healthy behaviors
- Introduce youth to health career options
- Develop cultural and service skills of early career health professionals
- Advance health equity within communities at risk of poor health outcomes
Hillsboro Big Picture (School)440 SE Oak StreetHillsboro, OR 97123
- Math / Science Instruction
- Youth Services
- Life Coaching
- Fitness Instruction
- Background Check
- Must be at least 20
- Orientation or Training
- after on-boarding, ~ 3 hours/week, includes your travel time.