29 people are interested
Classroom Assistant in Adult ESL Class
ORGANIZATION: Lyndale Neighborhood Association
Please visit the new page to apply.
29 people are interested
Do you love to work with people? Are you interested in working with folks from many different walks of life? Are you passionate about education? You're in luck! Lyndale's Adult Education Program is the place for you!
The Lyndale Education program serves adult students in the Lyndale and surrounding neighborhoods. The purpose of the program is to provide high-quality English language instruction and to help students become more connected to the community.
The ESL Classroom Assistant’s main role is to assist the Lead ESL Teacher(s) in leading groups of adult learners. Classroom Assistants also vitally contribute to the creation of a respectful, engaging, and supportive learning environment for adult students who are motivated to improve their proficiency in English speaking, listening, reading, and writing in order to better navigate their communities.
This volunteer opportunity is ideal for individuals who are passionate about accessible community education and are interested in expanding their capacity for communicating with and learning from community members of diverse cultural backgrounds. Our professional Lead ESL Teachers plan the lessons and organize the classroom, while Classroom Assistants gain valuable teaching and tutoring experience with continued mentorship by trained ESL professionals.
WE HAVE AN URGENT VOLUNTEER NEED FOR THE FOLLOWING CLASSES:
Morning and Evening ESL classes
3335 Blaisdell Ave., Mpls 55408
Morning classes: Wednesdays and Fridays: 9:15am - 12:45 pm (actual class time is 9:30 am - 12:30 pm).
Evening classes: Mondays: 5:45 - 8:15 pm (actual class time is 6:00 - 8:00)
- Serve as a small group leader, or classroom assistant, in adult ESL classes with learners of various levels of English proficiency
- Tutor adult ESL students one-on-one or in small groups (2 - 4 students)
- Facilitate engaging activities for adult ESL classes, with support and coaching
- Register new students for English classes and childcare and help administer tests, as needed
- Survey students one-on-one or in small groups to assess their learning goals, and report back to the classroom instructor
- Communicate observations of student learning with Lead ESL Teacher after class
- Assist with setting up and/or taking down the classroom space
- Know, understand, and follow ALL emergency procedures and safety guidelines associated with the building
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Dependable, prompt, and able to work respectfully with others
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Previous experience with teaching or tutoring preferred but not required
- Must have completed or be willing to complete the 12-hour Foundations of Adult Education tutoring through Literacy MN
- Ability to make a weekly commitment preferred
- Volunteer application and orientation
- Signed Code of Conduct
To inquire about or apply for this volunteer opportunity, contact Nicki Olalde, Lyndale Neighborhood Association's Education Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-205-6153.
About Lyndale Neighborhood Association
3537 Nicollet Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55408, US
We the people of the Lyndale Neighborhood seek to create a stronger sense of community pride, which encompasses and celebrates the diversity and creativity of all. We seek to use these positive talents to develop a visibly safe, clean, stable, nurturing and economically viable neighborhood that promotes feelings of eagerness to learn and grow. We seek to achieve our goals in a manner that fairly recognizes all people and institutions in the neighborhood, strengthens reciprocal relationships with one another and the larger community and addresses problems at their roots in an attainable, sustainable and empowering manner.
Creates a strong sense of community pride by celebrating the diversity and creativity of all people and institutions in the neighborhood. Develops a safe, clean, stable and nurturing neighborhood to help people learn and grow.
3335 Blaisdell AvenueBlaisdell YMCAMinneapolis, MN 55408
November 14, 2022
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible: most volunteers commit to one 3-hour class/wk
- Pre-service training: https://www.literacymn.org/volunteer-foundations-training