First Friend to a Resettled Refugee
5 people are interested
LSS-SW is seeking volunteers who can become the first friend of a refugee adjusting to life in the United States.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Meet with your mentee at least once a week for two hours (most refugees live in west Phoenix)
- Commit to mentorship for 6 months - 1 year
- Act as a bridge to the mainstream American community
- Respect (and have fun learning!) the traditions, culture, and religion of the person you work with
- Be flexible and able to meet with the refugee based on their schedule - this project works well for volunteers that need a position on nights/weekends
- Support your client on their path to self-sufficiency (being able to support themselves in the US)
- Give regular updates about the mentee’s progress to the assigned staff supervisor.
The volunteer will set their own hours based on when they can meet with their mentee.Clearances Required & Training
Must obtain a Fingerprint Clearance Card. We'll send you directions on how to obtain this after you apply.
We'll work with your schedule.
3443 N. Central AveNorth RotundaPhoenix, AZ 85012
- Outdoor Recreation
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Community Outreach
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 6 months minimum