Sort Donated Food for Iowans in Need!
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
DONATE TO THIS
40 people are interested
Fresh Produce! Food Drives! Boxed Foods! Frozen meat! and MORE!
Each week the Food Bank of Iowa receives food donations that need to be sorted and organized before being distributed to our over 500 partner agencies. Volunteers can help get the food to our agencies and the Iowans that need it most by participating in this process! Examples include boxing meals for families, organizing food by category, checking food for safety and quality, and working in our clean room. Every month we move 1,000,000 pounds of food and it is only possible with the support of volunteers in our incredible community. Be a part of this effort and sign up today!
- Check condition of donated items, including dates, to ensure safety of consumption.
- Sort and place checked items into the appropriate categories or boxes or bins.
- Break down cardboard for recycling and dispose of trash.
Support/Training: Volunteers will be given instructions upon arrival, and will have staff support throughout their shift.
- Able to stand, move, bend, and lift in warehouse environment.
- Able to read printed dates on packaging.
- Able to safely use box cutter, packing tape dispenser, and other packing tools as needed.
Age Requirement: For safety reasons, all volunteers in the warehouse must be 10 or older.
Dress Code: Closed-toe shoes are required in the warehouse. Also, please dress comfortably and in layers. The temperature in the warehouse can vary.Location: 2220 E 17th Street Des Moines Iowa 50316 - please enter through the door marked "Volunteer Center" Questions? Contact Michaela B. Devaney
We'll work with your schedule.
2220 E 17th StreetDes MoinesDes Moines, IA 50316
- Inventory Management
- People 55+
- Must be at least 10
- 2-3 Hours