Refugee Health Internship
17 people are interested
Job Summary - The Refugee Health Intern will assist program manager in all health related activities, systems navigation, and access to benefits for recently- arrived refugees in Virginia.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist and accompany clients to various appointments including but not limited to: medical appointments, immunization appointments, and to referred support programs
- Assist refugees with health insurance enrollments
- Conduct refugee health related outreach and education to local providers and potential partners
- Assist with client appointment reminders and follow-up
- Assist with conducting orientations to prepare community members for accessing US health services and assess health needs
- Perform trainings/create displays on safety, health and hygiene
- Assist clients to get services from local social service offices and public assistance
- Assist program manager with maintenance of case files
- Assist with other related duties as assigned
- College degree or perusing an undergraduate degree in public health, social work, political science, migration, international relations, human rights, language or related field required
- Previous experience working in multicultural contexts is desirable
- An interest in international and refugee issue
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment and process unexpected tasks and deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure
- Creativity and initiative to follow through on projects
- Effective communication and writing skills
- Proficiency in one or more language other than English is preferable
- Having personal car or access to a car is desirable, but not required
- Understanding of the timelines and processes refugees go through.
- Increased intercultural communication competency
- Exposure to basic non-profit operations and environment
- Knowledge of marginalized populations - challenges and opportunities
- Experience working with limited English proficiency populations
- Knowledge of Virginia refugee benefits systems
- Ability to navigate of social service systems
- Basic ability to keep case notes and maintain case files to State Department standards.
At least 2 full days a week
Please submit a (1) cover letter and (2) resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are considered on a first come, first served rolling basis.
We'll work with your schedule.
901 S. Highland StreetArlington, VA 22204
- People Skills
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Case Work / Management
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 2 days/week