Resource Development Internship
Ethiopian Community Development Council
Job Summary - Intern will work closely with the Resource Development Coordinator to complete applications for additional funding and/or programs supporting ECDC's mission.
- Search through online databases and through internet searches to find appropriate opportunities.
- Write summaries of opportunities for the Resource Development Coordinator and Director.
- Assist with resource development for agency events (research, initial contacts, follow up, sending receipts, etc.)
- Write drafts and revisions of application, in close cooperation with Coordinator.
- Maintain open and direct communication with the Resource Development Coordinator and other ECDC staff.
- May include some program maintainance/trouble shooting (helping review files before monitoring visits, updating community resource materials, etc.)
- Assist the various programs with other resource related tasks as directed.
Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Present by Internship Completion or Before):
- Current undergraduate or recent graduate required.
- High attention to detail required.
- Previous outreach or development experience a plus.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Excellent organizational and writing skills.
- Use of personal computer a plus.
- Interest in working in a multicultural environment.
- Interest in refugee and immigrant topics.
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite). Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook, and Internet use.
- Background check.
- Understanding of non-profit development.
- Experience with grant writing process.
- Increased intercultural communication competency.
- Exposure to basic non-profit operations and environment.
- Knowledge of marginalized populations - challenges and opportunities.
- Experience developing a wide variety of resources (sponsorships, grant, donations, in-kind, etc).
- Knowledge of refugee/immigrant support systems.
About Ethiopian Community Development Council
8121 Georgia Avenue, Suite 800, Silver Spring, MD 20910, US
ECDC's mission is to resettle refugees, promote cultural, educational, and socioeconomic development in the refugee and immigrant community in the United States, and conduct humanitarian and development programs in the Horn of Africa. To pursue this mission, ECDC: provides programs and services that assist newcomers to the country become productive members of their new American communities fosters greater understanding among newcomers and the wider community conducts outreach and education activities to increase public awareness about refugee and immigrant issues promotes African community-based organizations increase their capacity to serve their local communities promotes civic participation by newcomers in the decision-making process at the local, state, and national levels provides cross-cultural training to service providers' on the diverse cultural backgrounds of the clients they work with assists in educational development and cultural preservation projects in Ethiopia
ECDC is non-profit organization that works toward the resettlement of refugees within the United States. We conduct case work, as well as educational and social outreach programs for newly arrived refugee families. These programs are aimed to help the families recover from past traumatic experiences, get adjusted to American life, and become economically self-sufficient contributing members of their new communities. The refugees we work with refugees come from all across the globe.
Some of the services that we provide refugee families include:
- Housing and rent for 3 months (families will hopefully be self-sufficient by this time)
- Basic home furnishings
- Enrollment in ESL classes
- Setting up medical and social security appointments
- School enrollment for the children
- Helping refugee families connect with their new communities on a social and logistical level