In-Class/Math Tutor/LIC/Laguardia/2-3 hours a week, Mornings 6-9PM
5 people are interested
The City Tutors (CT) is looking for tutors to provide in-class academic support in Math for the Division of Continuing Education at LaGuardia Community College for the Spring 2019 semester. Embedded Tutoring will run in the morning from 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM. Tutors are asked to commit 2-3 hours of their time a week. Morning classes run Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, but subject specific tutoring days are yet to be determined.
This a great opportunity for:
- working professionals who wish to support their community
- students who are majoring (or who have recently graduated) in the course area and who wish to enhance their content knowledge and/or grow their professional experience
As an embedded tutor, you would collaborate with an instructor to improve students’ performance while being supported and guided by an experienced academic support professional. You would identify and support students who are struggling, participate during the lecture to augment the class topic discussions, and provide feedback to students so that they may improve their fundamental understanding of the material. You might also design assignments, identify/track students who are struggling and create differentiated instruction as the need arises. You will be supported throughout this process by the City Tutors staff.
All tutors are also expected to complete a four session comprehensive, professional training regimen. 6 hours of live training, plus another hour and a half for orientation. This is a commitment of 7.5 hours of in person training, and 4 hours of supplemental training for a total of 11.5 hours of training over the course of the Spring semester.
Training days will be determined based on your schedule and that of the Tutor Training Coordinators.
CT's tutoring program has been successful in helping students gain access to support that they otherwise would not have received, given their limited time spent on campus. Having a tutor in the class early in the semester will allow us to employ strategies to reduce withdrawals and student failure rates. Your work with us would help the students’ overall subject area performance, and help us improve this educational support model, reaching more students and departments with comprehensive academic support.
Learn more about LaGuardia Community College's Division of Continuing Education here:
To apply, you must:
- Have received an A- or A in the introduction to the subject course you are applying to tutor
- Have a GPA at or above 3.2, or have completed a degree program
- Submit monthly reports, keep a log sheet of any tutoring appointments done outside of class, and regularly communicate with the tutor training coordinator.
We'll work with your schedule.
31-10 Thomson AveLong Island City, NY 11101
- Adult Education
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- General Education
- 2-3 hours per week
- 11.5 hours of training (4 hours of live training if you have prior tutoring/educational experience)