MCSA MENTOR VOLUNTEER
Utah Refugee Education and Training Center
Volunteer Opportunity Title: MCSA MENTOR VOLUNTEER
Start and End Date: As soon as possible! Ongoing opportunity.
Volunteers will support refugee students in a one-on-one capacity outside of regularly scheduled class time in order to assist with homework and curriculum retention. The MCSA course is a year long course offered at the Refugee Education and Training Center aimed at preparing students to pass the MCSA certification as well as the Security Essentials certification. The material is catered toward those who do not necessarily have a background in IT, but who are dedicated to the content and interested in working toward a career in the IT field.
- Meet with student weekly (previously in person, but virtually/online is required during COVID)
- Help student with their weekly homework assignments and class projects
- IT background
- Comfortable working with adults
- Verbal communication skills
- Adaptability and patience
- Cultural sensitivity
- Passed background check (free through our office -- we provide you with what you need)
- 1-3 hours per week, depending on the needs of the mentee (day and time will be coordinated to fit mentor and mentee's schedules)
- Courses last twelve months; the current cohort will finish in July 2019
The volunteer will have the opportunity to learn more about refugees as well as practice skills such as tutoring, public speaking, and presentation. Volunteers will also have the chance to network with other volunteers/professionals in various tech-related fields.SCOPE
- The amount of material each student completes
- Number of students who become certified
- Number of students who go on to pursue field-related employment opportunities
Number of Volunteers Needed:
3+Staff Point of Contact:
Sunni RyanVolunteer Point of Contact:
Megan McLaws; firstname.lastname@example.orgAll interested volunteers must register at:
- https://volunteer.samaritan. com/custom/525/#/volunteer_ registration
- After you create your account, search for the opportunity you are interested in!
- Click "Sign Up"
About Utah Refugee Education and Training Center
250 W 3900 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84107, US
The Utah Refugee Education and Training Center is a partnership between Salt Lake Community College, Utah State University and the Utah Department of Workforce Services. The Refugee Center serves two purposes: To foster opportunities for refugees to access family-sustaining employment, and to support refugee communities’ efforts to find appropriate solutions towards integration.
As part of the Department of Workforce Service, the Utah Refugee Education and Training Center offers employment, intake, and program services to assist refugees in Salt Lake City with their integration journey. We serve as a hub that offers commonly needed services such as job search assistance, ESL, citizenship preparation, and basic computer skills. We also leverage skill-based volunteerism as well as targeted in-kind and financial donations to provide free trainings and programs for adults and youth with interests ranging from I.T. and computer programming to leadership and public speaking to sewing and product development. If you are interested in serving your local refugee community, we have an opportunity for you!