Tour Guide/ Docent
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
9 people are interested
Are you energetic, friendly, and love museums?
The Savannah African Art Museum is looking for volunteer docents with good communication skills to lead tours for diverse groups - from elementary school children to older adults. This is a wonderful opportunity for volunteers interested in learning and teaching about the history and art of West and Central Africa.
Currently, our greatest needs are during our open hours: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, from 11:00 am-1:30pm and 1:30pm-5:00pm. Docents will be expected to give daily tours of the museum’s collection. Tours are given by walk-in and by appointment.
The time commitment is flexible and may include weekdays for private events, and some evenings. No prior experience as a docent or knowledge of African art and history is required. Additionally, docent talking points will be provided.
* Learning about the museum and its African Art collection
* Shadowing current docents on a few tours and talking with staff to get a better understanding of the process
* Docent talking points will be explained and reviewed. (Some light reading materials will be provided on some of the tour talking points)
* Acquiring public speaking and customer service skills in conducting tours
201 E 37th St
Savannah, Georgia 31401
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
201 E. 37th StreetSavannah, GA 31401
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Reading Comprehension
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
- People 55+
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Wednesday-Saturday! We'll work with your schedule!