Tour Guide/ Docent
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
13 people are interested
Are you energetic, friendly, and love museums?
The Savannah African Art Museum is looking for volunteer docents with good communication skills to lead tours for diverse groups - from elementary school children to older adults. This is a wonderful opportunity for volunteers interested in learning and teaching about the history and art of West and Central Africa.
Currently, our greatest needs are during our open hours: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, from 11:00 am-2:00pm and 2:00pm-5:00pm. Docents will be expected to give daily tours of the museum’s collection. Tours are given by walk-in and by appointment.
The time commitment is flexible and may include weekdays for private events, and some evenings. No prior experience as a docent or knowledge of African art and history is required. Additionally, docent talking points will be provided.
* Learning about the museum and its African Art collection
* Shadowing current docents on a few tours and talking with staff to get a better understanding of the process
* Docent talking points will be explained and reviewed. (Some light reading materials will be provided on some of the tour talking points)
* Acquiring public speaking and customer service skills in conducting tours
201 E 37th St
Savannah, Georgia 31401
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
201 E. 37th StreetSavannah, GA 31401
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Reading Comprehension
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Wednesday-Saturday! We'll work with your schedule!