Spanish Interpreter - In-class
3 people are interested
This volunteer position is responsible for interpreting verbal and written information between Spanish-speaking clients who are legally blind and their English-speaking Guide Dog Mobility Instructors (GDMI), while the clients learn how to work with a guide dog. The volunteer will also act as interpreter between clients and other staff, volunteers and the general public. Interpreting will take place on Leader Dog’s campus, training routes, while traveling with clients in LD vehicles, and throughout the metro Detroit area. Volunteers are required to stay overnight on Leader Dog’s campus for the duration of the 25 day/24-night class. Meals, lodging, and the cost of (1) checked bag within airline weight restrictions on arrival and return flights will be provided. Volunteers are expected to be available to interpret from 6 AM - 9 or 10 PM although there are breaks and down time. Volunteers may be needed to interpret during the night, in case of a client emergency.
* Must have an open, flexible schedule, and be available to spend 25 days/24 nights on Leader Dog’s campus
* be fluent in both English and Spanish and able to translate between both languages smoothly and with ease.
* complete an on-line test of speaking skills to gage skill level.
* have a solid understanding of Spanish, Mexican, and/or other Latin American cultures
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
1039 S. Rochester RoadRochester, MI 48307
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- stay on campus 24 hours a day for 23-25 days of class