18 people are interested
Animal Encounters Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Fort Collins Museum of Discovery
Please visit the new page to apply.
18 people are interested
Purpose of Position: Animal Encounters husbandry volunteers clean, feed, and care for our live animal collection. Volunteers are expected to do one shift per week on a recurring schedule for at least six months.
Responsibilities of Position: Animal Encounters volunteers help in the husbandry, maintenance, and care of our live animal collection. Volunteers will work with a variety of species including arthropods, amphibians, reptiles, fish, and mammals. Ability to follow instructions, communicate clearly, and sharp observation skills are critical. Animal Encounters volunteers serve in the morning prior to FCMoD opening to the public.
If interested, volunteers can also be trained to help with FCMoD’s monthly Meet the Animals (MTA) programming. MTA is an interactive, educational program with the public, using our animals as ambassadors for the Museum. Volunteers must be comfortable and confident working with all species and with public speaking. MTA volunteers must be engaging, outgoing, and cheerful with Museum guests.
Volunteers 16 years and older may apply. Looking for a 6 month commitment of at least one shift per week.
- Clean enclosures of a variety of live animals (arthropods, amphibians, fish, mammals, and reptiles)
- Prepare meals and feed a variety of live animals
- Provide enrichment for a variety of live animals
- Communicate live animal health, wellbeing, and safety to the Live Animal Husbandry Coordinator and other Animal Encounters staff/volunteers
- Maintain a clean and organized workspace
Skills, knowledge, and qualities needed:
- Detail oriented
- Clear communication
- Friendly and approachable demeanor
- Able to adhere to instructions and procedures
- Some minor lifting/carrying may be required
- Comfortable working with animals of all species
- Eager to learn
- Responsible and dependable
- Previous experience with animals helpful but not required
About Fort Collins Museum of Discovery
408 Mason Court, Fort Collins, CO 80524, US
The museum creates meaningful opportunities to learn, reflect, and have fun through hands-on and collections-based explorations in science and culture.
Combining science with history and culture, the Fort Collins Museum of Discovery (FCMoD) connects you to a deeper understanding of your world and your place in it, from our local community to the global community beyond. FCMoD is a place where people can come together for shared events and experiences, a place for building community while providing inspiration and insight. This is the vision of the FCMoD, to create meaningful opportunities for people of all ages to learn, reflect, and have fun through hands-on and collections-based explorations in science and culture.
408 Mason CourtFort Collins, CO 80524
August 26, 2022
- Animal Care / Handling
- Aquarium Maintenance
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Animal Encounters shifts are 8:00am – 10:00am, every day of the week. Volunteers are expected to serve at least one shift per week.
- Training is provided on daily cleaning, feeding, and enrichment activities for our live animal collection. All volunteers must complete a volunteer application through our website and attend a General Orientation.