OneOC: Retired Senior Volunteer Program - Volunteer Readers for Think Together
The Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP), is a free members-only program through the Corporation of National Community Service for adults age 55 and beyond. Established in 1971, RSVP is one of the largest senior volunteer organizations in the nation with more than 360,000 volunteers. Volunteers can use the skills and talents they’ve learned over the years or develop new ones while serving in a variety of volunteer activities within our community.
OneOC hosts RSVP volunteers in local Orange County nonprofits to ensure that those most in need of education, food security, food delivery and employment receive the help they need most. RSVP volunteers choose where and how often they want to serve, with commitments ranging from a few hours a month to 40 hours per week.
Benefits of RSVP:
- Personalized Matching - RSVP Orange County has over three decades of experience in matching volunteers with opportunities to meet community needs. We are here to find you the right opportunity for your passions, skills, interests, and your schedule
- Volunteer Insurance - excess accident medical coverage while volunteering
- Recognition - members are eligible for annual recognition including the Presidential Volunteer Service Awards, special events and more
- Community Engagement - newsletters, e-news, website including new opportunities, events, training opportunities and more
About OneOC - OneOC’s mission is to "accelerate nonprofit success." OneOC provides volunteers, training, consulting and business services to nonprofits to help them become as efficient and effective as they are passionate about their missions.
Hours of Volunteer Service: RSVP volunteers can give 1-40 hours weekly, whatever fits your lifestyle! Weekly time commitment for this position is a minimum of 1 hour, Monday through Friday.
Wage: This is a volunteer opportunity.
Position: Volunteer Reader for Think Together’s "Reach Out and Read" Program - Volunteering is done in Pediatrician office waiting rooms. Locations are in Anaheim, Fullerton, Huntington Beach, La Habra, Santa Ana, and Tustin.
Volunteers will spend time one-on-one with a student to help them develop their literacy skills and teach them a love of reading and books. They will have the chance to share a love of reading and books with people who may not have received this sort of encouragement in the past. Volunteers should be good communicators with excellent listening skills, able to work with young people at their pace. They should be passionate about literacy and its importance as well as fluent in English. Volunteers will also help with special events preparation.
- Volunteers must enjoy reading to children in small groups or individually and be patient and encouraging.
- Training is provided and required before being able to read with the children
- Volunteer Requirements: Volunteers must be 18 or older, must have background check clearance (done by the Think Together office) and must clear a TB test
Eligibility Requirements: To be eligible to participate as an RSVP Volunteer, the candidate must be age 55 or older and complete the RSVP application.
How to Apply: You may apply directly to the RSVP Volunteer Program by emailing Abby Edmunds at email@example.com
We'll work with your schedule.
1901 E 4th Street, Suite 100Santa Ana, CA 92705
- Child Development
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Must be at least 55
- Orientation or Training