OneOC: RSVP (ages 55+) Literacy Mentors for School on Wheels
OneOC hosts RSVP volunteers in local Orange County nonprofits to ensure that those most in need of education, food security, food delivery and employment receive the help they need most. RSVP volunteers choose where and how often they want to serve, with commitments ranging from a few hours a month to 40 hours per week.
Benefits of RSVP:
* Personalized Matching - RSVP Orange County has over three decades of experience in matching volunteers with opportunities to meet community needs. We are here to find you the right opportunity for your passions, skills, interests, and your active 55+ lifestyle and schedule
* Volunteer Insurance - additional excess accident medical coverage while volunteering
* Recognition - members are eligible for annual recognition including the station & volunteer testimonial, Volunteer Service Pledge Certificates, Presidential Volunteer Service Awards, special events and more
* Community Engagement - OneOC newsletters, e-news, website including new opportunities, events, training opportunities and more
About RSVP Program Station: School on Wheels provides free tutoring & mentoring to children from kindergarten through twelfth grade living in shelters, motels, vehicles, group foster homes and on the streets in Southern California.
Location: Anaheim & Santa Ana
Volunteer Opportunity: Literacy Mentor volunteers are needed for homeless children throughout Orange County. Schools on Wheels provides tutoring and mentoring in after-school settings. Volunteers will work 1:1 or in small groups with students to support their literacy.
- Volunteer must commit to tutor a child for a minimum of 1 hour per week on a consistent basis
- High need between the hours of 1:00pm-5:00pm in Santa Ana and Anaheim locations
- Volunteer will be trained to facilitate first session introductions with School on Wheels volunteers and students
- Notify School on Wheels staff on shelter or after school program needs, take attendance, and submit new student information to staff
- Communicate with other volunteers via site visits, phone calls, and email to provide support and check in’s with fellow volunteers
- Inspire the child to develop a positive attitude towards learning and provide academic assistance to that child
- Notify the School on Wheels staff when student needs a backpack, school supplies, uniforms or books (may distribute as needed)
- Talk to the child’s teacher to determine how to best work with him/her
Hours of Volunteer Service: RSVP volunteers may serve 1-40 hours weekly. Monday - Friday (some Saturday events, if needed)
*This is a volunteer non-paid opportunity.
Eligibility Requirements: To be eligible to participate as an RSVP Volunteer, the candidate must be age 55 or older and complete a RSVP online registration.
How to Apply: You may apply directly to the RSVP Volunteer Program HERE:
1901 E. 4th Street, Suite 100, Santa Ana, CA 92705, US
To Accelerate Nonprofit Success
OneOC is the leading nonprofit of its kind in Orange County, whose mission is "To accelerate nonprofit success." OneOC is committed to developing deep and meaningful experiences for our nonprofits and companies as they serve their respective communities. Our clients benefit from an array of service solutions including volunteer services, organizational development, back-office support and community engagement.